Acceleration of a particle on a parabola

In summary: The radius of curvature is given byR = (1/2) p yThe tangential acceleration is not zero. It is just that it is constant in magnitude and direction. So it does not affect the speed, but it does affect the direction of motion. So the total acceleration is the sum of the tangential and centripetal accelerations, both of which depend on the position along the curve.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a parabola on the x-y plane with equation ##y^{2}=2px## with constant speed ##1000m/s##.What is the magnitude of its acceleration?

Homework Equations

Parametric equations ##\vec{r}=(b^{2}t^{2}/(2p),bt)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec{v}=\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=(b^{2}t/p,b)\implies |\vec{v}|=b\sqrt{b^{2}t^{2}/p^{2}+1}=1000##

##\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=(b^{2}/p,0)\implies |\vec{a}|=b^{2}/p##

Not sure were to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a parabola on the x-y plane with equation ##y^{2}=2px## with constant speed ##1000m/s##.What is the magnitude of its acceleration?

Homework Equations

Parametric equations ##\vec{r}=(b^{2}t^{2}/(2p),bt)##.
I think this is more complicated than it needs to be, with the added parameter.
You could use ## \vec{r}=(\frac{t^2}{2p}, t)##. This gives the proper relationship between the x and y components. It also makes for a simpler expression for ##\vec v## and the magnitude of the acceleration depends only on p.
Jenny Physics said:

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec{v}=\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=(b^{2}t/p,b)\implies |\vec{v}|=b\sqrt{b^{2}t^{2}/p^{2}+1}=1000##

##\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=(b^{2}/p,0)\implies |\vec{a}|=b^{2}/p##

Not sure were to go from here.
BTW, very nice job in formatting your work!

Likes Jenny Physics
It looks to me like the ##b## must depend on ##t## for the constant speed to happen. And consequently the acceleration must depend on ##t##.

Likes Jenny Physics
After thinking a bit more about it, I see no reason to assume a form for ##y##. So I would start by assuming a parameterization like $$\vec r(t) =\left \langle \frac{y^2(t)}{2p},y(t) \right \rangle$$Then see what ##|\vec r'(t)| = C## gets you. I don't think it will be as simple as ##y=bt##.

Likes Delta2 and Jenny Physics
LCKurtz said:
After thinking a bit more about it, I see no reason to assume a form for ##y##. So I would start by assuming a parameterization like $$\vec r(t) =\left \langle \frac{y^2(t)}{2p},y(t) \right \rangle$$Then see what ##|\vec r'(t)| = C## gets you. I don't think it will be as simple as ##y=bt##.
##|\vec{r}'|=\frac{dy}{dt}\sqrt{\left(\frac{y^{2}}{p^{2}}+1\right)}=C##.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Well, I haven't worked it all out, but my thought is that you want to keep the variable ##t## if you are going to use the parametric form.

Likes Jenny Physics
LCKurtz said:
Well, I haven't worked it all out, but my thought is that you want to keep the variable ##t## if you are going to use the parametric form.
I fixed an issue in post #5. It seems I end up with a differential equation.

Yes, I think it gives a DE and it is about to get very messy. It is making me curious what level course you are taking where this problem came from. Have you had DE's? This problem is looking to me like it is non-trivial unless there is some clever insight that I am missing. The DE I came up with will only give ##y(t)## implicitly and the second derivative looks like it isn't going to be simple to work with.

Likes Jenny Physics
LCKurtz said:
Yes, I think it gives a DE and it is about to get very messy. It is making me curious what level course you are taking where this problem came from. Have you had DE's? This problem is looking to me like it is non-trivial unless there is some clever insight that I am missing. The DE I came up with will only give ##y(t)## implicitly and the second derivative looks like it isn't going to be simple to work with.
Yes I have taken a DE class (this is from a physics class that assumes knowledge of DE). The equation you end up would have to be solved numerically?

The acceleration along an in-plane curve has a tangential and a centripetal component.
https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/curvilinear-motion.html
As the speed is constant, the tangential acceleration is zero. The centripetal acceleration is equal to V2/R where R is the radius of curvature and V is given. It will depend on the position along the curve.

Likes Jenny Physics and Delta2

1. What is the acceleration of a particle on a parabola?

The acceleration of a particle on a parabola is the rate of change of the particle's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that describes the change in the particle's speed and direction.

2. How can the acceleration of a particle on a parabola be calculated?

The acceleration of a particle on a parabola can be calculated using the equation a = dv/dt, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and t is time. This equation can also be rewritten as a = d2x/dt2, where x is the position of the particle.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a particle on a parabola?

The acceleration of a particle on a parabola is affected by the initial velocity of the particle, the angle at which it is launched, and the force acting on the particle. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the acceleration.

4. How does the acceleration of a particle on a parabola change over time?

The acceleration of a particle on a parabola changes over time due to the influence of external forces. For example, if the particle is affected by air resistance, the acceleration will decrease over time until it reaches a terminal velocity. If there are no external forces, the acceleration will remain constant.

5. What is the significance of the acceleration of a particle on a parabola in real-world applications?

The acceleration of a particle on a parabola is significant in various real-world applications such as projectile motion, roller coasters, and sports. Understanding and being able to calculate the acceleration of a particle on a parabola can help in predicting the trajectory and motion of objects, as well as designing and optimizing various structures and devices. This concept is also important in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics.