Can Oocyte Division Occur Without the Contribution of Sperm?

• Thread starter jk22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the process of taking the nuclear material from one oocyte and transferring it into the nucleus of another oocyte, also known as artificial fertilization, is not possible. This process would imply that males are not needed for reproduction, which is impossible and harmful. Sperm is necessary for fertilization and contributes more to the embryo than the genetic material in the oocyte. There is even evidence that a mother's body can continue to use the genetic material from her partner, even in her brain, years after pregnancy.
jk22
If two oocytes are considered, does taking the nuclear material of one and transferring to the other's nucleus start the division of it ?

Biology news on Phys.org
That happens with oogonia. During development the primordial germ cells form and become oogonia through mitosis (by millions), then they can become primary oocytes.

Likes jim mcnamara
Thanks. But this process cannot be considered as an artificial fecondation ?

fecondation=fertilization.

It is not artificial fertilization. Correct. What @Fervent Freyja defined above is normal reproduction.
I believe you are asking: under the microscope, can one take the nucleus (nuclear mterial) from one oocyte and insert it into another oocyte. Then expect the oocyte (now 2n) to undergo normal cell division to create an embryo? i.e., artificial fertilization.

I do not know.

jk22 said:
Thanks. But this process cannot be considered as an artificial fecondation ?

Absolutely not. What you are asking about would imply that males aren't needed, that's impossible, and a harmful notion. You need a sperm for fertilization to create an embryo. The genetic material from the sperm actually contributes far more than half to the embryo, and also contributes further in ways that the genetic material in the oocyte does not; of course, mainstream would like people to believe differently. There is even evidence that my body could still be harboring and using my Husbands genetic material in different locations, even my brain, years after pregnancy.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...over-childrens-cells-living-in-mothers-brain/

Related to Can Oocyte Division Occur Without the Contribution of Sperm?

1. What is oocyte division?

Oocyte division is the process by which a female reproductive cell, or oocyte, divides into two daughter cells. This is an essential step in the development of an egg.

2. How does oocyte division occur?

Oocyte division occurs through a process called meiosis, which involves two rounds of cell division. During the first round, the oocyte divides into two cells with half the number of chromosomes. The second round of division then separates these chromosomes into two daughter cells, each with a full set of chromosomes.

3. What is the purpose of oocyte division?

The purpose of oocyte division is to produce a mature egg cell with the correct number of chromosomes for fertilization. This ensures that when a sperm cell fertilizes the egg, the resulting embryo will have the correct number of chromosomes for proper development.

4. What factors can affect oocyte division?

There are several factors that can affect oocyte division, including age, environmental factors, and genetic abnormalities. As a woman ages, the quality of her oocytes may decline, making it more difficult for them to divide properly. Environmental factors such as exposure to toxins and radiation can also impact oocyte division. Genetic abnormalities, such as chromosomal abnormalities, can also affect the process of oocyte division.

5. Are there any medical conditions related to oocyte division?

Yes, there are medical conditions that can affect oocyte division. One example is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which can disrupt the hormonal balance in the body and affect oocyte division. Another condition is premature ovarian failure, where the ovaries stop functioning before the age of 40, leading to problems with oocyte division and fertility.