Can Power Line Communication Transmit Data Without Interrupting Power Supply?

In summary, the conversation discusses using power line communication for a final year project and the concerns about data transmission and interference with other homes. Different techniques such as OFDM and CDMA are mentioned, as well as the use of frequency or time slots in a multiplex to avoid interference. The use of FSK modulation is suggested as a possible solution, and it is noted that different communication bands have different regulations. There is also a question about whether digitally modulated signals can be sent through live wires or if analog conversion is necessary.
yasthicklee
Hello,
I am new to this environment and I am about to do my final year project with the Power Line Communication.I am having some doubts regarding.Could anyone here explain how the data from my home can be transmitted to the energy station?
some says that the system comes with half-duplex.So if i am sending data,will i be having a power cut?
And if i am sending data with a low power,will that be reaching the energy station or will go to other homes in my neighborhood or even comes back to me??

some one explain

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what frequency you intend to use but RF signals will propagate quite well along transmission lines. Transformers may be a bit of a barrier, though, and you may need repeaters (/ regenerators / high voltage bandpass filters) to get past them. As far as your neighbours are concerned, the problem is the same as for regular telephone lines; they may get some of your signals and, if you all want to communicate, you will need to use different frequency or time slots in a multiplex.

sophiecentaur said:
It depends on what frequency you intend to use but RF signals will propagate quite well along transmission lines. Transformers may be a bit of a barrier, though, and you may need repeaters (/ regenerators / high voltage bandpass filters) to get past them. As far as your neighbours are concerned, the problem is the same as for regular telephone lines; they may get some of your signals and, if you all want to communicate, you will need to use different frequency or time slots in a multiplex.

thx for the reply friend.In order to differentiate I planned to have either OFDM or CDMA technique in them.Is that feasible to make a Practical Home made CDMA or OFDA kit.
And how can I make a ASK in the 230V 50Hz signal as in my country?

yasthicklee said:
thx for the reply friend.In order to differentiate I planned to have either OFDM or CDMA technique in them.Is that feasible to make a Practical Home made CDMA or OFDA kit.
And how can I make a ASK in the 230V 50Hz signal as in my country?

You need to look up the government regulations for the different communication bands allowed on the powerline segments. There will be one set of rules for in the home, and another set of rules for the higher voltage supply lines and distribution transformers. And as mentioned, powerline comms do not usually make it through distribution transformers. Different comms are used on the two sides of distribution transformers.

It seems that Instead of making the modulation in the ASK I found its a bit good in the FSK format.I had a look at the Telephone system making the transfers in dc,LF,HF and in high freq.So I decided to do my project in FSK modulation.
Can I send the digitally modulated signals through the Live wires or should I have to convert that to analog to get that done?

Related to Can Power Line Communication Transmit Data Without Interrupting Power Supply?

1. What is Power Line Communication (PLC)?

Power Line Communication is a technology that allows data to be transmitted through existing power lines, eliminating the need for separate network cables. It uses the electrical wiring in a building to transmit data signals, making it a cost-effective and convenient way to set up a network.

2. How does Power Line Communication work?

PLC uses modulation techniques to convert data signals into radio frequency signals, which are then transmitted through the power lines. These signals travel to different power outlets in the building, where they are converted back into data signals. This allows for data transfer and communication between devices connected to the same power line network.

3. What are the advantages of Power Line Communication?

One of the main advantages of PLC is its convenience and cost-effectiveness. Since it uses existing power lines, there is no need for additional network cables, making it an easy and affordable option for setting up a network. PLC also provides a reliable connection and can reach areas where Wi-Fi signals may be weak.

4. What are the limitations of Power Line Communication?

Although PLC has its advantages, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is the interference from other electrical devices, which can affect the signal quality and data transfer speed. Additionally, older buildings with outdated wiring may not be suitable for PLC, as it requires a strong and consistent electrical connection.

5. Is Power Line Communication secure?

PLC has built-in security features, such as encryption and authentication, to ensure the safety of data transmitted through the power lines. However, it is still vulnerable to external attacks if the power lines are accessible to outsiders. It is important to follow proper security measures, such as using a strong password, to protect the network.