Can the Complex Integral Problem Be Solved Using Residue Theorem?

In summary: Now, if you take a curve Γ' that is similar to Γ but with R' and U' instead of R and U, then you can show that the value of the integral over Γ' is also 2πi·cosh(ka). Hence, the integral is independent of R and U, except for the fact that they have to be greater than 2a. Now, since the integral is also independent of k and a, we can choose a specific constant C that satisfies the inequality given in the problem statement. In summary, the integral over the specified curve is bounded by a constant C divided by kR.
Jenny short
I have this problem with a complex integral and I'm having a lot of difficulty solving it:

Show that for R and U both greater than 2a, \exists C > 0, independent of R,U,k and a, such that $$\int_{L_{-R,U}\cup L_{R,U}} \lvert f(z)\rvert\,\lvert dz\rvert \leqslant \frac{C}{kR}.$$

Where a > 0, k > 0, $$L_{-R,U} = \{-R + iy \mid 0 \leqslant y \leqslant U\}$$, $$L_{R,U} = \{ R + iy \mid 0 \leqslant y \leqslant U\}$$ and $$f(z) := \frac{z e^{ikz}}{z^2+a^2}$$I don't really know where to start, or what to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start would by taking the antiderivative of ##f(z) = \frac {ze^{ikz}} {z^2 + a^2}## with respect to z.

I tried to suggest an answer in an earlier thread, but now the problem has changed somewhat. So, I will give the answer to a question that has not been asked (otherwise I will get a reprimand).

So: Let Γ be the curve you have specified. Now factorize the denominator in f(x): [itex]\frac{ze^{ikz}}{z^{2}+a^{2}}=\frac{ze^{ikz}}{(z+i\cdot a)(z-i\cdot a)} [/itex]. Since R and U are both greater than 2a, the points i⋅a and (-i)⋅a both are inside Γ. Furthermore, the residue at [itex]z=i\cdot a [/itex] is [itex] \frac{ia\cdot e^{-ka}}{2ia}=\frac{e^{-ka}}{2}[/itex] and the residue at [itex]z=-i\cdot a [/itex] is [itex] \frac{-ia\cdot e^{ka}}{-2ia}=\frac{e^{ka}}{2}[/itex]. Thus, the sum of the residues is [itex] \cosh(ka)[/itex] and the value of the integral [itex] \int_{\Gamma}\frac{ze^{ikz}}{z^{2}+a^{2}}=2\pi i\cosh(ka)[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an extension of the concept of integration from real numbers to complex numbers. It involves finding the area under a curve in the complex plane.

2. What is the difference between a complex integral and a real integral?

The main difference is that a complex integral involves integration over a path in the complex plane instead of a line segment on the real number line. This path can be curved, and the value of the integral can depend on the path chosen.

3. How do I solve a complex integral problem?

To solve a complex integral problem, you can use various techniques such as the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy integral formula, or the residue theorem. It is also important to understand the properties of complex functions and how to integrate them using basic techniques.

4. What are some applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in science and engineering, such as in electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and image processing.

5. What are some common challenges when working with complex integrals?

Some common challenges include choosing the correct path for integration, calculating residues, and dealing with singularities. It is also important to be careful with branch cuts and the use of branch points in complex integration.