Can the Drude Model Explain Scattering Time in Terms of Unit Conversion?

In summary, there is a question about calculating the scattering time μ = eτ / m and its unit, which needs to be in cm^2 / V.s. The conversation discusses the conversion of units from Coulombs to volts and the use of the relation E=QV. It is mentioned that the Drude scattering time is a material property and requires the original question to be seen in order to provide a solution. There is also a reminder about the conversion of units for joules.
tigigi
I got the answer of the hw, but still have question about it.
I need to calculate the scattering time μ = eτ / m. τ is the mean time.
the unit needs to be in cm^2 / V.S

I put the unit like this :

e = coulumb
τ = s
m = kg

then it's impossible to get the unit like that.

Then I'm wondering if I could use this to find τ and plug it in :
σ = ne^2 τ / m then

μ = σ / ne , but I got a problem that it's still not possible to solve it since we don't know the material then don't know σ.

Who could tell me what's going here. I appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
tigigi said:
I got the answer of the hw, but still have question about it.
I need to calculate the scattering time μ = eτ / m. τ is the mean time.
the unit needs to be in cm^2 / V.S

I put the unit like this :

e = coulumb
τ = s
m = kg

then it's impossible to get the unit like that.
No, it is possible. You need to convert from Coulombs to units involving volts (use the relation E =QV).

Then I'm wondering if I could use this to find τ and plug it in :
σ = ne^2 τ / m then

μ = σ / ne , but I got a problem that it's still not possible to solve it since we don't know the material then don't know σ.

Who could tell me what's going here. I appreciate it.
The Drude scattering time is a material property - it depends on the mean free path and the free electron density. We need to see the original question, exactly as it was given to you, to help with this.

Thanks ! I'm approaching it, but there's still sth missing.

coulumb x s / kg

coulumb = J / volt , J=kg.m/s^2 -> plug in, and get

( kg.m/s^2 ) . s (1/kg) = m / v.s -> cm / v.s -> still can't get cm^2 / v.s

tigigi said:
J=kg.m/s^2
No, that's a Newton. 1J=1kg.m^2/s^2

I really really appreciate it. I forget too many things.

Related to Can the Drude Model Explain Scattering Time in Terms of Unit Conversion?

1. What is the Drude model?

The Drude model is a classical theory that describes the behavior of electrons in a metal. It assumes that the electrons are free to move and collide with each other and with the metal ions.

2. What is the scattering time in the Drude model?

The scattering time is the average time between collisions of electrons in a metal. It is a measure of the frequency at which electrons scatter and lose their momentum.

3. How is the scattering time calculated in the Drude model?

The scattering time can be calculated using the equation τ = m/μ, where τ is the scattering time, m is the mass of the electron, and μ is the electron mobility. It can also be experimentally determined by measuring the resistivity of the metal.

4. How does the scattering time affect the electrical conductivity of a metal?

The scattering time is directly related to the electrical conductivity of a metal. A longer scattering time means that electrons can travel further without colliding, leading to higher conductivity. Conversely, a shorter scattering time results in lower conductivity.

5. What are the limitations of the Drude model and the scattering time concept?

The Drude model is a simplified classical theory and does not take into account quantum effects such as electron spin. It also does not accurately describe the behavior of materials at very low temperatures. Additionally, the scattering time concept does not work for materials with complex band structures, such as semiconductors.