Rutherford scattering thin gold foil

In summary, Rutherford scattering thin gold foil is an experiment conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 to study the structure of an atom. He chose gold foil because of its malleability and ductility, allowing for a higher probability of alpha particles passing through the foil without being deflected. This experiment disproved the plum pudding model of the atom and provided evidence for the existence of a nucleus within an atom. It played a crucial role in our understanding of atomic structure and has had an impact on various fields of science, including nuclear physics, materials science, and medical imaging. It also influenced the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators.
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

The fraction of 6.0 MeV protons scattered by a thin gold foil, of density 19.3 g/cm^3, from the incident beam into a region where scattering angles exceed 60° is equal to 2.0(10^-5). Calculate the thickness of the gold foil.

Homework Equations

$$N=(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o})^2\pi{I}\rho{t}(\frac{zZe^2}{Mv^2})^2\cot{\frac{\theta}{2}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for t, giving
$$t=(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o})^{-2}\frac{1}{\pi\rho}\frac{N}{I}(\frac{zZe^2}{Mv^2})^{-2}\tan{\frac{\theta}{2}}$$

For Mv^2, I used 2*6 MeV, converted to joules. For ρ, I used the number of molecules in one cubic meter of gold, which is 98,000. For theta I used 60°. The ratio N/I is given: 2(10^-5). I used 8.988(10^9) m/F for 1/4piε. Z=79, and z=1, e=1.602(10^-9) coulombs.

I plugged in all known values and got 4.17(10^17). Obviously wrong, but I don't understand why I am so off. I check the units and everything. Anybody see what's wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I have reviewed your calculations and can see that you have made a few errors in your units and conversions. Here is the correct solution:

We can start by converting the energy of the protons from MeV to Joules:
6.0 MeV = 6.0 * 1.602 * 10^-13 J = 9.61 * 10^-13 J

Next, we can calculate the mass of the proton using the equation E=mc^2:
9.61 * 10^-13 J = m * (3.00 * 10^8 m/s)^2
m = 1.07 * 10^-26 kg

Now we can calculate the speed of the protons using the equation E=1/2mv^2:
9.61 * 10^-13 J = 1/2 * (1.07 * 10^-26 kg) * v^2
v = 1.7 * 10^7 m/s

Next, we can plug in all of the known values into the given equation:
t = (1/4πε0)^-2 * (1/πρ) * (N/I) * (zZe^2/Mv^2)^-2 * tan(θ/2)
= (8.988 * 10^9 m/F)^-2 * (1/π * 19.3 * 10^3 kg/m^3) * (2 * 10^-5) * (79 * 1.602 * 10^-19 C)^2/(1.07 * 10^-26 kg * 1.7 * 10^7 m/s)^2 * tan(60/2)
= 1.67 * 10^-11 m

Therefore, the thickness of the gold foil is approximately 1.67 * 10^-11 meters.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and good luck with your calculations in the future!

1. What is Rutherford scattering thin gold foil?

Rutherford scattering thin gold foil is an experiment conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 to study the structure of an atom. It involves firing alpha particles at a thin gold foil and observing the scattering pattern to understand the structure of atoms.

2. Why did Rutherford use gold foil in his experiment?

Rutherford chose gold foil because it is one of the most malleable and ductile metals, allowing it to be hammered into a thin sheet. This thinness allowed for a higher probability of alpha particles passing through the foil without being deflected, making it ideal for studying the structure of atoms.

3. How did Rutherford's experiment disprove the plum pudding model of the atom?

The plum pudding model suggested that the atom was a uniform, positively charged sphere with negatively charged electrons embedded within it. However, Rutherford's experiment showed that the majority of alpha particles passed through the foil without any deflection, suggesting that the positive charge of an atom is concentrated in a small, dense nucleus, rather than being spread out throughout the atom.

4. What is the significance of Rutherford's experiment in our understanding of atomic structure?

Rutherford's experiment was a crucial step in our understanding of atomic structure. It provided evidence for the existence of a nucleus within an atom and paved the way for further research on the structure of atoms, leading to the development of the modern atomic model.

5. How does Rutherford scattering thin gold foil contribute to other fields of science?

Rutherford scattering thin gold foil has had an impact on various fields of science, including nuclear physics, materials science, and medical imaging. It has also influenced the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators, which are used in research and medical applications.