Can the Voltage Drop PTC Thermistor Homework Statement be Solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question and confusion over a graph of voltage drop vs Rmax-Rmin. The existing graph shows Resistance vs Temperature for various voltages and the question asks for a different graph with different axes. It is unclear if the question asks for voltage drop vs Rmax-Rmin or "voltage drop per grain boundary" vs PTC calculated over Rmax-Rmin. The individual responding is unsure if they can solve the problem but offers a potential solution.
fyush20

Homework Statement

PTC.PNG

Homework Equations

I am not sure exactly what this question is asking for, especially in regards to the voltage drop. How would the graph of voltage drop vs Rmax-Rmin be any different to what is already provided?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• PTC.PNG
    PTC.PNG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,158
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I can solve the whole problem but since you haven't had a better answer...

The existing graph shows Resistance vs Temperature for various voltages. The question asks you for a graph with different axis but I don't think they want voltage drop vs Rmax-Rmin. They want "voltage drop per grain boundary" vs the PTC (calculated over Rmax-Rmin).

Hi, I have this exact question, did you ever manage to solve the first part of the problem?

1. What is a Voltage Drop PTC Thermistor?

A Voltage Drop PTC Thermistor is a type of temperature-sensitive resistor that exhibits a sharp increase in resistance as temperature increases. This increase in resistance causes a drop in voltage, hence the name "Voltage Drop" PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) Thermistor.

2. How does a Voltage Drop PTC Thermistor work?

A Voltage Drop PTC Thermistor is made of a special type of ceramic material that has a high positive temperature coefficient. As temperature increases, the molecules in the ceramic material vibrate more, causing an increase in resistance. This increase in resistance causes a drop in voltage, which can be used to measure temperature changes.

3. What are the applications of Voltage Drop PTC Thermistors?

Voltage Drop PTC Thermistors are commonly used in temperature sensing and control applications. They can also be used in overcurrent protection, as the increase in resistance can limit the flow of current and prevent damage to electronic components.

4. How accurate are Voltage Drop PTC Thermistors?

The accuracy of a Voltage Drop PTC Thermistor depends on various factors such as the quality of the material, manufacturing process, and calibration. Generally, they have an accuracy of around ±1% to ±5%.

5. Can Voltage Drop PTC Thermistors be used in harsh environments?

Yes, Voltage Drop PTC Thermistors can be used in harsh environments as they are made of durable ceramic materials and can withstand high temperatures. They are also resistant to moisture, chemicals, and vibrations, making them suitable for use in a wide range of applications.