Can there ever be a finite pattern?

• Thread starter JT73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a pattern that does not continually reoccur, specifically one that involves only two symbols and is finite in nature. The idea is that a true pattern cannot be established with only two symbols, as there needs to be some underlying frequency or repetition for a pattern to exist. The conversation also mentions the application of patterns in statistics and the idea of Kolmogorov Complexity. It is concluded that a truly non-periodical pattern may not be conceptually possible.
JT73
A pattern that does not continually re-occur?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What kind of pattern are you talking about?

A finite one. A pattern in which you relate one thing to another. It stops there. Basically, can you distinguish that a pattern exists with only 2 symbols?

I'm not being smart, that's just the only way I know how to put it.

Thanks for trying though.

1e1e1e1e1

Does that count?

Is a pattern a signal that can be generated using an algorithm?

i don't think a pattern can be established with only two symbols by definition of a pattern.

For example, given two points on a missile trajectory can you predict the third point. You'd have to assume a line but the missile would most likely be on an arc so given a third point gives you enough info to predict the fourth and beyond with ever greater precision.

Now in statistics, they often look for correlations between two variables and that is a kind of pattern.

Last edited:
What about 101001000100001000001...
where the "pattern" is that the number of "0" between two "1"s is one more than previously.

Well, you can extend the applicability of a pattern to as many terms as you like, so ... there is no such thing as a finite pattern in the sense it is commonly construed.

On the other hand, regarding periodicity, there has to be some underlying frequency in tabulation as determining the nature of the series in question. Otherwise, there would be no pattern.

If there is something known and recognized as a pattern, it is only so because it is periodical. Even in chaos theory, in deriving a new Xp from a given Xp-1, we follow certain rules as overlapping our initial states.

On another tangent, a truly non-periodical pattern, it would appear, seems demanding of an infinite regress wherein irony is delivered to the persistent. Something like that cannot even conceptually exist in understanding, at least not to my current awareness nor concern.

Related to Can there ever be a finite pattern?

1. Can there ever be a finite pattern?

This is a common question in the field of mathematics and computer science. The answer is yes, there can be a finite pattern. In fact, many real-world systems exhibit finite patterns, such as the growth of tree branches or the arrangement of petals on a flower.

2. What is a finite pattern?

A finite pattern is a repeating sequence of elements that has a finite number of possible combinations. This means that the pattern will eventually repeat itself after a certain number of iterations.

3. Is it possible for a pattern to be both finite and infinite?

No, a pattern can only be either finite or infinite. A finite pattern will eventually repeat itself, while an infinite pattern will continue to grow and never repeat.

4. Can finite patterns be predicted or controlled?

Yes, finite patterns can be predicted and controlled to some extent. By understanding the underlying rules and mechanisms behind the pattern, scientists can make predictions and manipulate the pattern to some degree.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finite patterns?

Yes, finite patterns have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of biology, physics, and computer science. They can help us understand and model complex systems, and can also be used in data encryption and compression algorithms.