Can two stationary masses repel each other through gravitational forces alone?

In summary: E.g. it can be placed on a spring, bounce off the wall, and then reconfigure itself to its original state.The wording in your question implies that there are only ever two objects, meaning that they can't be split. Please clarify.Possible or not?It's actually quite possible. Hint: the smaller mass splits into two during the manoeuvre. Springs, or similar mechanical devices, are allowed.
Bob not Alice
Hi folks,

A system of two masses, stationary with respect two each other, is the starting point. For convenience I'll specify one mass as being much larger than the other. The only force acting between them is their mutual gravitational attraction. At time zero they are an arbitrary distance apart. Some time later they are further apart. Possible or not?

It's actually quite possible. Hint: the smaller mass splits into two during the manoeuvre. Springs, or similar mechanical devices, are allowed.

Just a bit of fun. ;)

Bob.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bob not Alice said:
Possible or not?
Sure, many possible solutions.
Let them attract each other, at the point where they nearly touch, activate a repulsive spring that splits the smaller mass into two pieces that rapidly move away from each other until they are far away. Find some way to avoid a collision of the spring with the larger mass. Wait. After a while, combine the two parts again.
You trade energy needed by the spring for kinetic energy and/or energy in the gravitational potential.

Alternatively: use a rocket. That is some sort of splitting as well but I guess it is not the intended solution as you lose the mass.

Alternatively: send bullets in a hyperbolic trajectory around the more massive object, catch them again. If you do this with sufficient mass, you get a net repulsion.

Alternatively: directly start splitting the smaller mass, position one half behind the larger mass and close to it, wait a bit, then combine the two smaller masses again. Probably needs some third piece or gyroscopes to avoid a collision.

Likes Bob not Alice
Bob not Alice said:
A system of two masses, stationary with respect two each other, is the starting point. For convenience I'll specify one mass as being much larger than the other. The only force acting between them is their mutual gravitational attraction. At time zero they are an arbitrary distance apart. Some time later they are further apart. Possible or not?

It's actually quite possible. Hint: the smaller mass splits into two during the manoeuvre. Springs, or similar mechanical devices, are allowed.

The wording in your question implies that there are only ever two objects, meaning that they can't be split. Please clarify.

Oh, I have a trick solution. How is distance measured? Between their closest points? Between centers of mass? Between geometrical center for balls? For (1) and (3) here is another solution:
Have the center of mass of the larger object close to the point with the largest initial distance to the smaller mass, and have a small hollow tube in the larger mass where the smaller and lighter mass can pass through instead of impacting. Then just wait. The distance between the geometric centers will increase beyond its initial value after a while.

Hi mfb,

Good stuff. :oldsmile: The rocket concept isn't really what I was looking for as it involves a permanent mass loss to the system. Neither was the "bounce", hence my stipulation the "the only force acting between them is their mutual gravitational attraction". That was meant in reference to the two initial masses, which I may not have stated explicitly enough.
Your third solution is closest to my own which involved splitting the smaller mass into two equal masses following elliptical orbits.

With the same initial conditions as before I believe it should also be possible to end up with the two masses orbiting each other! Extra hint: The smaller mass has to end up spinning. I'll not say more so that anyone who wants to offer a solution can do so...

Not news for most here, but I think there is something to be taken away from this game. Without knowing you can temporarily split the smaller mass it's not possible to get from the initial state to the final state and if the only two observations one could make were the initial and final states then one would cry "fraud". And this is just in the world of classical physics. :oldlaugh:

Bob.

Which bounce? None of my ideas involve the masses touching each other in any way.

I don't see limitations if you allow arbitrary rearrangements of components of the smaller mass.

1. What is the concept of neutral masses repelling?

The concept of neutral masses repelling is based on the principle of electrostatic force, which states that objects with the same charge will repel each other. In this case, neutral masses have equal amounts of positive and negative charges, causing them to repel each other.

2. How does the repulsion between neutral masses occur?

The repulsion between neutral masses occurs due to the repulsive force between positive and negative charges. When two neutral masses come close to each other, the positive charges in one mass will repel the positive charges in the other mass, and the same will happen with the negative charges, resulting in repulsion.

3. Can neutral masses attract each other?

No, neutral masses cannot attract each other. As stated before, the repulsion between neutral masses is based on the principle of electrostatic force, which always causes objects with the same charge to repel each other. Hence, neutral masses can only repel, not attract.

4. Does the distance between neutral masses affect their repulsion?

Yes, the distance between neutral masses does affect their repulsion. According to Coulomb's law, the force of repulsion between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, as the distance between neutral masses increases, their repulsion force decreases.

5. Is the repulsion between neutral masses always the same?

No, the repulsion between neutral masses can vary depending on the masses' size and distance between them. The larger the masses and the closer they are, the stronger the repulsion force will be. Conversely, smaller masses and a greater distance will result in a weaker repulsion force.