Can Urine Be Distilled to Extract Potable Water?

• Thread starter jc.int
  • Start date
In summary, JaimeNASA uses such technologies to purify the urine of astronauts and it is a very disgusting process.
jc.int
Hello,
I'd like to know if it is possible to distillate urine so we can extract potable water from it.
I know that some of its components, like ammonia, can be found of the resulting liquid but couln't we just heat urine at a certain temperature so it is just the water that is distillated?

Thank you

Jaime

Biology news on Phys.org
You can, but don't ever try it. It's the most disgusting thing in the world.

Cuauhtemoc said:
You can, but don't ever try it. It's the most disgusting thing in the world.
You're an astronaut on the space station? :wink:

When I was a kid I watched a documentary on the urine purifier that NASA uses, as part of the test they used a machine to measure the purity of water and compared the purified urine to tap water. The former was purer than the later by several orders of magnitude.

Evo said:
You're an astronaut on the space station? :wink:

Haha, I mean, at the space station they surely have a good way of doing it, but don't try to do it at your lab or something.

I doubt it's a single distillation step. With any distillation process, the idea is to gradually raise the temperature to evaporate off the volatile components in stages and collect the fractions of distillate. I haven't ever felt the need to look into the boiling temperatures of the components of urine, but there are probably a few that would be in earlier fractions than the water. Though, it probably falls very strongly in the "don't try this at home" category, unless you really hate your neighbors. I'm sure the process doesn't smell very nice.

1. Can urine be safely distilled to extract drinkable water?

Yes, urine can be safely distilled to extract potable water. Distillation is a process where liquid is heated to produce vapor, which is then cooled and condensed back into a liquid. This process removes impurities, making the end product safe to drink.

2. Is distilled urine water safe to drink?

Distilled urine water is safe to drink, as it has been purified through the distillation process. However, it is important to note that urine can contain a variety of substances, including medications, that may not be completely removed through distillation. It is best to only use urine water for survival situations and not as a regular source of drinking water.

3. How efficient is the distillation process for extracting water from urine?

The efficiency of the distillation process for extracting water from urine can vary depending on the quality of the urine and the equipment used. On average, distillation can recover around 90-95% of the water from urine, making it a fairly efficient method.

4. Are there any health risks associated with drinking distilled urine water?

There are no known health risks associated with drinking distilled urine water. However, as mentioned before, there may still be trace amounts of certain substances present in the water. It is also important to ensure that the distillation equipment is properly cleaned and maintained to prevent any contamination.

5. Can urine from all animals be distilled to extract drinkable water?

In theory, yes, urine from all animals can be distilled to extract drinkable water. However, the quality and safety of the distilled water may vary depending on the animal's diet and overall health. It is generally recommended to only use human urine for distillation and not from animals.