Can You Be an Experimental and Theoretical Physicist?

In summary, if you want to be an experimental physicist, you should focus on getting a good education and concentrating on lab-based work in your undergraduate years. Becoming an experimentalist through an engineering degree is possible, but you'll need to have a good understanding of theory.
T.O.E Dream
I would like to build stuff and conduct experiments but i would also like to take walks in the park think of theories. So how do i choose between these two. Maybe i can become an experimental physicist and then come home and write a bunch of stuff. Can you be both an experimental and theoretical physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think about theory, as an experimentalist. You can tinker in your basement as a theorist, but you can't honestly do both at a serious level. As an experimentalist though, you can do much more theory than you could do meaningful experimentation as a theorist.

Most people don't make a choice on the matter until they get to the graduate level. Either way, you can always do a little bit of both. Experimentalists have to know theory. Theorists have to correlate their theories with experimental evidence.

Yeah, i think it would be a better thing to do if you were an experimentalist and think of theories when ever you want. In order to make up theories all you need is a pencil and a notebook while conducting an experiment often takes large and extremely expensive equipment. Also you need a large workspace to perform most experiments while you can sit on a rock and make up a theory;)

If you know you want to be an Experimentalist should take more lab-based classes as an Undergrad? Can you become an Experimentalist through an Engineering degree? Are there certain skills that one should focus on if experimenting is where they want to end up?

DrummingAtom said:
If you know you want to be an Experimentalist should take more lab-based classes as an Undergrad? Can you become an Experimentalist through an Engineering degree? Are there certain skills that one should focus on if experimenting is where they want to end up?

I would concentrate on getting the best education you can get as an undergrad. A good program will have both theory and experimental work. One thing I would add, the best experimentalists have a very good grasp of their undergrad theory.

As for becoming an experimentalist after getting an engineering degree, it is possible, very possible. My first TA as an undergrad was a 1st year grad student who had taken a couple of advanced undergrad modern physics courses as electrical engineering student then switched to physics. He was one of the most talented experimental physicists I have ever known, and right now works as a design engineer developing new physics lab rigs for a company who specializes in lab equipment.

As people said before, there are no pure experimentalists or theorist. It is more like a superposition of both.
However, I just want to add some side note, experimentalist seems to need to have grasp of everything.
For instance, when I looked into one of my professor research, which is about nuclear physics, he needs to have some knowledge of condense matter to construct the Superconducting Magnet Assembly (some equipment, in short). And he needs some knowledge of chemistry to understand some of the tested molecule properties, etc.
So yes, basically he needs to know almost everything.
Side note: This actually make me think of a joke: don't let physicists construct the experiment and don't let engineers do the experiment if you don't want to ruin your experiment.

Why not have a crack at it? Read a biograpy of Enrico Fermi...

Related to Can You Be an Experimental and Theoretical Physicist?

1. Can you explain the difference between experimental and theoretical physics?

Experimental physics involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test theories and understand the natural world. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain and predict physical phenomena.

2. What skills are needed to become an experimental and theoretical physicist?

Both experimental and theoretical physicists require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, experimental physicists must have excellent laboratory skills and the ability to design and carry out experiments, while theoretical physicists must have strong mathematical and computational skills.

3. Is it possible to specialize in both experimental and theoretical physics?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in both experimental and theoretical physics. Many physicists have a broad range of skills and are able to conduct experiments and develop theories in their area of expertise. However, it is more common for physicists to specialize in one or the other.

4. How do experimental and theoretical physicists work together?

Experimental and theoretical physicists often collaborate on research projects. Experimental physicists provide data and observations that can be used to test and refine theoretical models, while theoretical physicists provide insights and predictions that can guide experimental design and data analysis.

5. What are some common career paths for experimental and theoretical physicists?

Experimental and theoretical physicists can work in a variety of industries and settings, including academia, government agencies, and private companies. Some may focus on research and development, while others may work in fields such as engineering, medicine, or finance. Others may pursue careers in education or science communication.