Can You Solve Trigonometric Equations Involving Sine and Cosine?

• Thread starter physior
  • Start date
In summary, the solution to tanφ=-1/sqrt3 has many solutions, for example, -30, 150, 330 degrees etc. If you require R>0, this fixes which quadrant ##\phi## can be in, which in this case is the fourth quadrant. There's only one angle in the range from 0 to 360 degrees which will work.
physior
hello

Let's solve:

(square root of 3)sin(x)-cos(x)=2

We know that R=square root of 3 + 1 = 2

We also know that tanφ=b/a= -1/sqrt3

The solution to tanφ=-1/sqrt3 has many solutions, for example, -30, 150, 330 degrees etc.

Which of these solutions do we accept? Or is it irrelevant which we will accept?

I mean, our equation will be this or that?
this: 2sin(x-30)=2 => sin(x-30)=1 => x-30 = 2kπ + 90 or x-30 = 2kπ + π - 90 => x=2kπ+120 or x=2kπ+π-60
that: 2sin(x+330)=2 => sin(x+330)=1 => x+330 = 2kπ + 90 or x+330 = 2kπ + π - 90 => x=2kπ-240 or x=2kπ+π-420

which of these solutions are acceptable?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physior said:
Which of these solutions do we accept? Or is it irrelevant which we will accept?
All that satisfy the original equation (check the signs!).
If the equation has some non-mathematical background, x is often restricted to some range, like 0 to 360 degrees, this can narrow down the number of solutions.

physior said:
hello

Let's solve:

The solution to tanφ=-1/sqrt3 has many solutions, for example, -30, 150, 330 degrees etc.

this: 2sin(x-30)=2 => sin(x-30)=1 => x-30 = 2kπ + 90 or x-30 = 2kπ + π - 90 => x=2kπ+120 or x=2kπ+π-60
that: 2sin(x+330)=2 => sin(x+330)=1 => x+330 = 2kπ + 90 or x+330 = 2kπ + π - 90 => x=2kπ-240 or x=2kπ+π-420

thanks!

physior said:
hello

Let's solve:

The idea behind this method is to express ##\sqrt{3}\sin x + \cos x## in the form ##(R\cos\phi)\sin x + (R\sin\phi)\cos x##. This requires that you choose R and ##\phi## so that
\begin{eqnarray*}
R \cos\phi &= \sqrt{3} \\
R \sin\phi &= -1.
\end{eqnarray*} If you require R>0, this fixes which quadrant ##\phi## can be in, which in this case is the fourth quadrant. There's only one angle in the range from 0 to 360 degrees which will work. You can then add multiples of 360 to generate additional solutions for ##\phi## (though it's pointless to do so as you will see below).

When you divide the second equation by the first to get ##\tan \phi = -1/\sqrt{3}##, you introduce spurious solutions which satisfy
\begin{eqnarray*}
R \cos\phi &= -\sqrt{3} \\
R \sin\phi &= 1.
\end{eqnarray*} If you use this approach, you need to verify that you've got the right solution and not a spurious one.

The way you wrote them, none of these solutions is acceptable. You need to stick with either radians or degrees. Don't mix the two in the same expression.

In both 'this' and 'that', you had to solve an equation of the form ##\sin (x+\phi) = 1##, which implies ##x+\phi = 90 + 360n##. Solving for x, you get ##x = 90 - \phi + 360n##. Now suppose you add 360 to ##\phi## to generate another solution for ##\phi## above. You now have ##x = 90 - (\phi+360) + 360 n = 90 - \phi + 360(n-1)##. It's the same set of solutions as before since n can be any integer. Any multiple of 360 you added to ##\phi## can be absorbed into the multiples of 360 needed to find all possible solutions for x, so finding additional values for ##\phi## doesn't really make a difference to the solution in the end.

Last edited:
vela said:
If you require R>0, this fixes which quadrant ##\phi## can be in, which in this case is the fourth quadrant. There's only one angle in the range from 0 to 360 degrees which will work. You can then add multiples of 360 to generate additional solutions for ##\phi## (though it's pointless to do so as you will see below).

How can I know if I require R>0 ? There is nothing in the question implying what the R can be.

can you tell me the steps to solve it?
for example:
1) first I calculate phi by tan(phi)=b/a ? I know that based on the value the calculator will return (let's say theta), I will have the following solutions: phi=k*360 + theta or k*360 - theta, right? how do I choose which of these I want to use? Or I can use ANY of these solutions in general, so I can take the first positive angle for simplicity?
2) now I need to calculate R. how can I do it? Apparently I cannot simply R=square root of a^2 + b^2, because I don't know if R is the positive or negative value of this root. Do I calculate the R otherwise? Or somehow determine its sign?
3) what's next?

thanks!

What if you made substitution, say:
## u = \cos x, \, v=\sin x## ?
Then you would have ##\sqrt{3} v - u = 2## which would plot a line.
Then enforce a second condition that ## u^2+v^2=1 ## (unit circle) and see where the two intersect.

As for the angle, you would generally want to express all possible angles that satisfy the requirements. ##x = \theta +2\pi n ##. If you think others would work, check them against the original equation.

physior said:
How can I know if I require R>0 ? There is nothing in the question implying what the R can be.
You can try using a negative value for R and see how that affects the procedure.

physior said:
can you tell me the steps to solve it?
for example:
1) first I calculate phi by tan(phi)=b/a ? I know that based on the value the calculator will return (let's say theta), I will have the following solutions: phi=k*360 + theta or k*360 - theta, right? how do I choose which of these I want to use? Or I can use ANY of these solutions in general, so I can take the first positive angle for simplicity?
I already explained this above.

Related to Can You Solve Trigonometric Equations Involving Sine and Cosine?

1. How do I solve equations with both sine and cosine functions?

To solve equations with both sine and cosine functions, you can use the trigonometric identities of the sum and difference of angles. Use these identities to rewrite the equation in terms of either sine or cosine, then solve for the variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

2. How do I determine the values of a and b in the equation asinx+bcosx?

To determine the values of a and b, you can use the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions. The coefficient of sine (a) represents the amplitude of the function, while the coefficient of cosine (b) represents the phase shift. You can also use the given values of the angle (x) to solve for a and b.

3. What is the general solution for the equation asinx+bcosx?

The general solution for this equation is x = arctan(-a/b) + 2πn, where n is an integer. This equation gives you all the possible solutions for x that satisfy the equation asinx+bcosx=0.

4. How can I use a graph to solve the equation asinx+bcosx?

You can use a graph to solve the equation by graphing both the sine and cosine functions with the given values of a and b. The solution will be the x-intercepts of the graph, which represent the values of x where the equation is equal to 0.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve the equation asinx+bcosx?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the equation. Most scientific calculators have functions for sine and cosine, allowing you to input the values of a and b and solve for x. However, it is still important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation manually.