Can't fix this missing $ inserted

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter SeM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a math text being rejected due to a processing error involving the use of \begin{math} and \end{math} tags and the presence of $ symbols. The person seeking help was advised to use \{ instead of {$ to get a curly bracket in the expression.
SeM
Hi, I have this math text:

##\begin{math}x'=$\Re$\,$\left\{x(t)\right\}$, y$'$=$\Re$\,$\left\{y(t)\right\}$, z$'$=$\frac{1}{2}$ \big($\Im$\,$\left\{x(t)\right\}+$\Im$\,$\left\{y(t)\right\}\big)\end{math}.##

however it is not accepted.

can you check the tex code under "Math processing error" and see an error?

what part is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are \begin{math} and \end{math} for? Also, I don't understand the presence of all those $.

Those $ are inserted to get the { in the middle of the expression.

\being{math} and \end{math} is used because sharelatex recommended it for this section.

SeM said:
\being{math} and \end{math} is used because sharelatex recommended it for this section.
MathJax can't do anything with those, hence the processing error.

SeM said:
Those $ are inserted to get the { in the middle of the expression.
What you get is
##x'=$\Re$\,$\left\{x(t)\right\}$, y$'$=$\Re$\,$\left\{y(t)\right\}$, z$'$=$\frac{1}{2}$ \big($\Im$\,$\left\{x(t)\right\}+$\Im$\,$\left\{y(t)\right\}\big).##
which doesn't like anything one would write. To get a curly bracket {, simply precede it with a backslash, \{.

Likes SeM
Worked! Thanks!

Related to Can't fix this missing $ inserted

1. What does "Can't fix this missing $ inserted" mean?

This error message typically occurs when working with LaTeX, a typesetting software used for creating documents with mathematical equations. It means that there is a missing dollar sign ($) somewhere in the code, which is used to indicate the start and end of mathematical expressions.

2. How do I fix the "Can't fix this missing $ inserted" error?

To fix this error, you will need to locate the missing dollar sign in your code and add it in the correct place. It's important to make sure that every mathematical expression is enclosed in dollar signs, otherwise the error will persist.

3. Why do I keep getting the "Can't fix this missing $ inserted" error?

This error can occur for a few reasons. The most common is that you have forgotten to add a dollar sign somewhere in your code. It can also happen if you accidentally add an extra dollar sign, or if there is a typo in one of the dollar signs.

4. Can I ignore the "Can't fix this missing $ inserted" error?

No, this error should not be ignored. Ignoring it can lead to incorrect formatting of equations and can cause the document to not compile properly. It's important to fix this error before moving on to other parts of the document.

5. How can I prevent the "Can't fix this missing $ inserted" error in the future?

The best way to prevent this error is to double check your code and make sure that every mathematical expression is enclosed in dollar signs. It's also helpful to use an editor that has syntax highlighting for LaTeX, which can make it easier to catch any missing or extra dollar signs.