Highlighting a Letter with HTML: A Quick Tutorial

In summary, the conversation is about a user wanting to highlight a letter in an equation by changing its color to red, but encountering difficulties with the code. The solution is to include the color change in the LaTeX code itself.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
Note: You'll have to quote this to see the code. I don't think the noparse tags are working here.

I recently wanted to correct a member's equation and wanted to highlight a change. I decided to change a letter's color to red:
\(\displaystyle T \left ( \left [ \begin{array}{c}x-2y \\ 3x-y \end{array} \right ] \right ) \)

I'd like to highlight the T: T

But this gives:
\(\displaystyle T \left ( \left [ \begin{array}{c}x-2y \\ 3x-y \end{array} \right ] \right ) \)How do I fix this?

Thanks!

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle {\color{red}{T}}\left(\begin{bmatrix}
x-2y\\ 3x-y
\end{bmatrix}\right)\)

Like so?

skeeter said:
\(\displaystyle {\color{red}{T}}\left(\begin{bmatrix}
x-2y\\ 3x-y
\end{bmatrix}\right)\)

Like so?
YES! Thanks for the tip. For some reason I didn't think of changing the color in LaTeX code. (Doh)

-Dan

1. What is HTML?

HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is a coding language used to create and design web pages. It is the foundation of all websites and is used to structure and format content on a webpage.

2. How do I highlight a letter with HTML?

To highlight a letter with HTML, you can use the <mark> tag. Simply place the letter you want to highlight between the opening and closing <mark> tags.

3. Can I change the color of the highlighted letter?

Yes, you can change the color of the highlighted letter by adding the "style" attribute to the <mark> tag and specifying the color you want to use. For example, <mark style="color: red">H</mark> will highlight the letter "H" in red.

4. Can I highlight multiple letters or words with HTML?

Yes, you can highlight multiple letters or words by placing them between the opening and closing <mark> tags. You can also use the "style" attribute to change the color of each highlighted letter or word individually.

5. Is highlighting a letter with HTML supported by all browsers?

Yes, highlighting a letter with HTML using the <mark> tag is supported by all modern browsers. However, some older browsers may not support this feature, so it's always best to test your code on different browsers to ensure compatibility.