Capacitance of an infinite series

In summary, the capacitance of each capacitor of the infinite series shown in the picture is C = 1\muF. Find the total capacitance between points a and b.
jumpman11372

Homework Statement

The capacitance of each capacitor of the infinite series shown in the picture is C = 1[tex]\mu[/tex]F. Find the total capacitance between points a and b. IMAGE: http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3674/pic002311.jpg" (continues to infinity)

Homework Equations

In series, (1/Ceq) = (1/C1)+...(1/Cn)
In parallel, Ceq = C1+...Cn

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since the series extends to infinity, it seems that it is just a repeat of the first branch/loop (A--B, 3 capacitors only), and I thought that the Capacitance between A&B would be infinity. After thinking this over, I doubt this would be the case, seeing as that is TOO easy.

After, I thought that it could be possible for the capacitors in the top and bottom rows to be in parallel with each other, but then I saw there is a break in between by the 3rd capacitor in between.

I'm totally lost on how to handle this :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cute problem.

Let D be the capacitance between points a and b. Think of the whole infinite chain as a single capacitor with capacitance D.

Now consider adding another link of the chain in front of it; that is, connect a and b with a new capacitor with capacitance C, and then create new endpoints a' and b' by adding a capacitor between a and a' and another one between b and b' (each with capacitance C). Now, the whole thing will have a capacitance E between a' and b'; you should be able to calculate E in terms of C and D.

But, since the chain was infinite to begin with, adding another link should not change its total capacitance; that is, we should have E=D.

This is enough info to compute D.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I've made this quick picture of what you've typed out:
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3674/pic002311.jpg"

So adding this link in this infinite chain will not affect the total capacitance D, where E=D.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the capacitance between a' & b' is the equivalent capacitance of the 3 capacitors, which are in series, so (1/Ceq) = (1/C + 1/C + 1/C), where C = 1 microFarad

So the equivalent capacitance of this is equal to C/3, which, is equal to E, which is also equal to D?

So the capacitance of this infinite series of capacitors (D), is equal to C/3, or 1/3 microFarad?

sorry for this...

bump perhaps? :(

jumpman11372 said:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I've made this quick picture of what you've typed out:
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3674/pic002311.jpg"

So adding this link in this infinite chain will not affect the total capacitance D, where E=D.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the capacitance between a' & b' is the equivalent capacitance of the 3 capacitors, which are in series, so (1/Ceq) = (1/C + 1/C + 1/C), where C = 1 microFarad

So the equivalent capacitance of this is equal to C/3, which, is equal to E, which is also equal to D?

So the capacitance of this infinite series of capacitors (D), is equal to C/3, or 1/3 microFarad?

No. D is parallel with one of the C's and the result of that is in series with two more C's
The result of that is equal to D again.

Ok, so we have one Capacitor with Ceq = C+D (since one capacitor and D are in parallel)

Then, there are 3 capacitors which are in series with each other. Then here is where confusion steps in...

(1/C) + (1/C) + (1/C+D) = 1/D

or

(1/C) + (1/C) + (1/C+D) = D

I see that this will yield a quadratic equation.

jumpman11372 said:
(1/C) + (1/C) + (1/C+D) = D

I see that this will yield a quadratic equation.

you mean 1/((1/C) + (1/C) + (1/(C+D))) = D?

You indeed get a quadratic. The final answer for D is quite simple.

I got an answer of 1 microFarad, or 1 x 10^-6 Farads.

It seems that this is a quite simple answer, but WHY is this the answer? What leads the capacitance of this whole series to be 1 microF?

bump please :]

Related to Capacitance of an infinite series

1. What is an infinite series in terms of capacitance?

An infinite series is a theoretical concept that describes an unbounded sequence of capacitors connected in series. This means that there is no set limit to the number of capacitors in the series, and they are all connected end-to-end, with the positive terminal of one connected to the negative terminal of the next.

2. How is the total capacitance of an infinite series calculated?

The total capacitance of an infinite series can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance. This can also be written as Ceq = 1/Σ(1/Cn), where Cn represents the capacitance of each individual capacitor in the series.

3. How does the capacitance of an infinite series compare to a single capacitor?

The capacitance of an infinite series is always larger than the capacitance of a single capacitor. This is because the effective surface area of the series is larger, allowing for a greater amount of charge to be stored.

4. What is the effect of adding more capacitors to an infinite series?

As more capacitors are added to an infinite series, the total capacitance increases. However, the rate of increase decreases with each additional capacitor. This means that while adding more capacitors will always increase the total capacitance, the increase will become less significant with each additional capacitor.

5. Are there any practical applications for an infinite series of capacitors?

An infinite series of capacitors is a theoretical concept and has no practical applications in real-world circuits. However, it is often used in mathematical calculations and theoretical models to better understand the behavior of capacitors in circuits.