Capacitive Pressure Transducer

In summary, The speaker is using a Setra HVAC pressure measuring instrument to measure pressure differences in a water manometer. However, they are getting outputs in voltage using a voltmeter and want to know how to convert these voltages to pressure in mm H2O. The instrument outputs a signal between 0-5 VDC and the span range is listed on the nameplate. The maximum span value is output at 5 VDC and linear values in between. In the example given, a span of 100 inwc results in an output of 0 VDC for 0 inwc, 2.5 VDC for 50 inwc, and 5 VDC for 100 inwc. The speaker also mentions
temaire
I'm using a http://www.setra.com/ProductDetails/264_HVAC.htm" to measure pressure differences in a water manometer. However, I am getting outputs in voltage using a voltmeter and want to know how to convert these voltages to pressure in mm H2O.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your instrument will output a signal between 0 - 5 VDC.

The span may be between 0.1 inwc to 100 inwc. This should be listed on the nameplate.

The instrument will output the maximum span value at 5 VDC and linear values in between.

For example, suppose it is spanned to 100 inwc. The output will look like:

Instrument Output, Differential Pressure
0 VDC, 0 inwc
2.5 VDC, 50 inwc
5 VDC, 100 inwc

Sometimes, if a differential pressure instrument is used for flow rate, there will be a square root function included. Double check, but I did not see this.

I figured it out.

Thanks for the reply.

1. What is a Capacitive Pressure Transducer?

A capacitive pressure transducer is a type of sensor that is used to measure pressure by detecting changes in capacitance, or the ability to store an electric charge, caused by the pressure applied to the sensor.

2. How does a Capacitive Pressure Transducer work?

A capacitive pressure transducer consists of two parallel plates with a small gap between them. When pressure is applied to the sensor, the distance between the plates changes, causing a change in capacitance. This change is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and interpreted as pressure.

3. What are the advantages of using a Capacitive Pressure Transducer?

Capacitive pressure transducers have a high level of accuracy and sensitivity, as well as a wide measurement range. They are also relatively small and can be easily integrated into systems. Additionally, they have a fast response time and are less affected by temperature changes compared to other types of pressure sensors.

4. What are the applications of Capacitive Pressure Transducers?

Capacitive pressure transducers are commonly used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the automotive industry for monitoring tire pressure, in aerospace for measuring air pressure in cabins, and in medical devices for monitoring blood pressure. They can also be used for liquid level measurement in tanks and for pressure monitoring in hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

5. How do I choose the right Capacitive Pressure Transducer for my application?

The key factors to consider when choosing a capacitive pressure transducer include the range and accuracy of the sensor, the compatibility with the medium being measured, and the environmental conditions in which it will be used. It is also important to consider the size and mounting options of the sensor, as well as the cost and reliability of the manufacturer.