Capacitor behaviour (force, electric field, charge and plate distance)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a physics problem relating to the relationship between force, electric field, charge, and distance in a capacitor. Through a series of equations and logical reasoning, the participants come to the conclusion that the answer to the question is "E".
bedarder

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14443433/Screen%20shot%202011-02-25%20at%2011.02.23%20AM.PNG

Homework Equations

Q = C*V
E-field = V/d
F = E*q
C = epsilon-naught*A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
false based on
F = E*q
= Vq/d
= C*V^2/d

B.
true based on the inverse relationship demonstrated above

C.
false because as d is varied, there is a change in force, and this force will affect the charge, q, as per F = Vq/d

D.
false because isn't the electric field constant everywhere, and doesn't depend on distance?

E.
true because
Q = C*V
= epsilon-naught*A*V/d
the negative sign comes into play based on http://www.physics.upenn.edu/courses/gladney/phys151/lectures/images/charging_capacitor_circuit.gif" picture I found on google images. I'm not actually sure why the capacitor charges in that manner, though.

Since B and E were true, my answer was "BE" which is wrong.

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi bedarder! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
bedarder said:
F = E*q
= Vq/d
= C*V^2/d

B.
true based on the inverse relationship demonstrated above

ah, but F = CV2/d has a C in it, which isn't constant :redface:

tiny-tim said:
ah, but F = CV2/d has a C in it, which isn't constant :redface:

Ok, so using C = ε*A/d, the equation now becomes
F = ε*A*V2/d2
which makes B false.

So then the answer is simply E? I only have one attempt left to get the question right.

bedarder said:
So then the answer is simply E? I only have one attempt left to get the question right.

i'm accepting no responsibility!

but for what it's worth, your arguments, on a quick perusal, don't have any obvious flaws :smile:

tiny-tim said:
i'm accepting no responsibility!

but for what it's worth, your arguments, on a quick perusal, don't have any obvious flaws :smile:

I felt bold and decided to go with "E", and got the question right!

Thank you tim!

You may be tiny, but your help was big :smile:

Related to Capacitor behaviour (force, electric field, charge and plate distance)

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a component in an electrical circuit that is used to store electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other plate becomes negatively charged.

How does a capacitor behave in terms of force?

A capacitor experiences an attractive force between its two plates due to the opposite charges. This force is directly proportional to the square of the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. Therefore, increasing the voltage or decreasing the plate distance will result in a stronger force.

What is the relationship between electric field and a capacitor?

The electric field between the plates of a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that a higher voltage or smaller plate distance will result in a stronger electric field.

How does the charge on a capacitor change with voltage and plate distance?

The charge on a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and the plate area, and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that increasing the voltage or decreasing the plate distance will result in a higher charge on the capacitor.

What effect does the dielectric material have on a capacitor?

The dielectric material between the plates of a capacitor affects its capacitance, which is a measure of the capacitor's ability to store charge. A higher dielectric constant (or permittivity) of the material will result in a higher capacitance, meaning the capacitor can store more charge. Different dielectric materials can also affect the breakdown voltage and insulation resistance of the capacitor.