Half life and percentage remaining

In summary, the half life of 137Cs is 30.07 years and the fraction of the original amount remaining after 50 years is approximately 32%. The initial equation provided, dN/dλ = λN, is incorrect and should be dN/dt = -λN. The value of λ can be determined from the given half life, and the equation can be solved for the value of N at any arbitrary time t. However, if this equation cannot be solved, another relevant equation involving e may have been given.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

137Cs has a half life t1/2 = 30.07 years. After 50 years, what fraction of 137Cs will remain?

Homework Equations

maybe...
dN/dλ = λN
λ = ln2/t1/2, half life in seconds
N = Total mass /(137(1.67x10-17kg))

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought maybe i needed to figure out a decay rate at first but i don't have a total mass. unless i just use the mass of the cesium. so my N will simply equal 1/(1.67x10-17)

but that gives me a huge number. 43 million decays per second.

so then i thought if i lose 50% in 30 years. then in 20 years, which is 66% the amount of time needed for another half life to pass, then i should lose 66% of the 50% which is only 33%. so in 50 years i lose 33% of the 50% lost in the first 30 years. but then i get lost in my logic and don't know how to proceed.

edit: if i take .50 - .33 = .17. then add the .17 to the .50 i get .67. this makes sense to me as after two half lives have passed then .75 of the Cs will be left over.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:

Homework Statement

137Cs has a half life t1/2 = 30.07 years. After 50 years, what fraction of 137Cs will remain?

Homework Equations

maybe...
dN/dλ = λN
This equation is incorrect. It should read:

$$\frac{dN}{dt}=-\lambda N$$

where
λ = ln2/t1/2, half life in seconds

If t1/2 = 30.07 years, from this equation, what is the value of λ?

If N = N0 at time t = 0, do you know how to solve the above differential equation for the value of N at arbitrary time t (in terms of N0, λ, and t)?

Chet

i do not know how to solve that equation.

but what i did was 50/30.07 = 1.66. and if 2-1 is .5. then 2-1.66 is .68. which leave 32% of the cesium remaining.

nmsurobert said:

but what i did was 50/30.07 = 1.66. and if 2-1 is .5. then 2-1.66 is .68. which leave 32% of the cesium remaining.
If you do not know how to solve that equation, and are not expected to be able to solve it, then you must have been given another relevant equation. Maybe one involving e?

nmsurobert said:

Yes. I agree with haruspex. On what mathematical basis did you choose this expression over the infinite number of other possibilities available?

Chet

1. What is half life?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for half of a given substance to decay or undergo a transformation. This term is commonly used in relation to radioactive substances, but it can also apply to other processes such as chemical reactions.

2. How is half life calculated?

The formula for calculating half life is: t1/2 = (ln 2) / λ, where t1/2 is the half life, ln is the natural logarithm, and λ is the decay constant. The decay constant is specific to each substance and can be found in scientific literature or determined through experimentation.

3. What is the relationship between half life and percentage remaining?

The percentage remaining of a substance can be calculated using the formula: % remaining = (0.5)n * 100, where n is the number of half lives that have passed. This means that each half life, the percentage remaining will decrease by half, following an exponential decay curve.

4. Can half life be used to predict the future decay of a substance?

Yes, the half life can be used to predict the future decay of a substance, assuming that the conditions remain constant. By knowing the half life and the initial amount of the substance, one can calculate the amount that will remain after a certain amount of time has passed.

5. What factors can affect the half life of a substance?

The half life of a substance can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. In addition, the characteristics of the substance itself, such as its stability and atomic structure, can also impact its half life.