Career change - any advice welcomed

In summary, the person is finishing their BA in theology and wants to pursue a Master's and PhD in neuroscience or neurobiology. They are concerned that their Bachelor's degree in a different field may hinder their chances of being accepted into a PhD program. They are seeking opinions and considering getting a Bachelor's in a more appropriate field. One person suggests that research and grades during the Master's program will be more important, but it is recommended to ask the professors at the desired PhD programs. The person has two options for a Master's program, one in neurobiology and one in cognitive sciences with a focus in psychology. Their main concern is whether their previous unrelated BA will be a hindrance.
dark19
Hello everyone,

I'm finishing my BA this year in a humanistic field(theology) and would like to change paths to neuroscience/neurobiology with a master in one of these fields ,and later pursue a Phd in the same field.
However , I am worried that my bachelor degree would make it impossible to pursue a Phd in such a field.
Would the master degree be enough ?Should I get a BA in Biology/more appropriate field?
I hope this is the right section for the post.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you've earned your Master's, I don't think your lack a Bachelor's in that field will be a deal breaker. Your research and grades earned while getting the Master's will be more important, I think.

To be sure though, you should ask the profs in the PhD departments at the schools you'd like to attend.

Thank you lisab.Any other opinions welcomed(esp. from within the field).

thank you

The problem will be whether or not you will be accepted onto a Masters programme without a Bachelors degree in the subject.

Cristo , I have 2 options in regards to the master degree : one is a master in neurobiology at the University of Bucharest (at home) and the second is a master in Cognitive sciences (with a psychology focus) in Spain.(I would have to take a extra year for additional courses).
My main worry is ,as I mentioned before , that this will be of no use because of my previous unrelated BA.

Related to Career change - any advice welcomed

1. What are some signs that it may be time for a career change?

Some signs that it may be time for a career change include feeling unfulfilled or unhappy in your current job, experiencing chronic stress or burnout, lack of growth opportunities, and feeling like your skills and interests are not aligned with your current career path.

2. How can I determine what career is right for me?

There are several steps you can take to determine what career is right for you. Start by identifying your skills, interests, and values. Consider taking career assessments or consulting with a career counselor for guidance. Research different industries and job roles to see what aligns with your strengths and passions. Lastly, try informational interviews or shadowing someone in a potential career to get a better understanding of the day-to-day responsibilities.

3. How can I prepare for a career change?

Preparing for a career change involves several steps. First, make sure you have a clear understanding of your current skills and experience and how they may transfer to a new career. Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to highlight relevant experience and skills. Consider taking courses or gaining new certifications to enhance your qualifications. Networking can also be a valuable tool in preparing for a career change, as it can help you make connections and learn about job opportunities.

4. What are some challenges I may face during a career change?

Some challenges you may face during a career change include adjusting to a new work environment and culture, building a new network, and potentially taking a pay cut. It may also take time to adjust to new job responsibilities and expectations. Additionally, you may face self-doubt or uncertainty during the transition. It's important to be patient and give yourself time to adapt to these challenges.

5. How can I make a successful career change?

To make a successful career change, it's important to have a clear plan and set realistic goals. Network and make connections in your desired industry, and be open to learning new skills and taking on new challenges. It's also important to have a positive attitude and be adaptable during the transition. Don't be afraid to seek advice and support from others, and remember that a career change is a process and may take time to fully adjust and succeed in a new role.