Catalytic Converters - Three Questions

• Thread starter Justin Hawk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converters
In summary, the conversation is about the topic of catalytic converters and the questions the speaker has about them. These questions include how rhodium removes nitrogen from nitrogen oxides, why catalytic converters need to be hot to operate at full efficiency, and why platinum and rhodium are used in catalytic converters and what properties these metals need to have. The speaker has not been able to find answers online but has received a helpful source from the other person.
Justin Hawk
I have three questions I can't find an answer for online about catalytic converters:

1. How does rhodium remove nitrogen from nitrogen oxides?

2. Why do catalytic converters need to be hot to operate at full efficiency?

3. Why are platinum and rhodium used? What properties do catalytic converter metals need to have?

I appreciate any answers, thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is it your homework?

research task, I don't need to go into this much detail I guess but I would like to understand the process in more detail.

Start with wiki, plenty of information there.

No detail on my three questions on wikipedia, but I found an answer for my third question elsewhere, so any help with the others would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch, that's a great source, answered both my questions!

1. What is a catalytic converter and how does it work?

A catalytic converter is a device that is used to reduce harmful emissions from a vehicle's exhaust. It works by converting toxic pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and hydrocarbons into less harmful substances through a chemical reaction.

2. Why is a catalytic converter important?

A catalytic converter is important because it helps to reduce air pollution and protect the environment. It also helps vehicles meet emission standards set by government regulations.

3. How often should a catalytic converter be replaced?

The lifespan of a catalytic converter can vary depending on the vehicle and driving habits. On average, they can last anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, if there is an issue with the engine or fuel system, the catalytic converter may need to be replaced sooner.