Caunchy's Integral Formula w/ trigonometric pole

In summary, the student is trying to solve a path integral equation involving a pole at 2*pi inside a trig function, but is stuck due to lack of knowledge on how to use Laurent series. After some research, he finds a method to solve the equation using the first term of a series and the limit as z approaches 2*pi.
bmanbs2

Homework Statement

Solve the contour integral
[tex]\int_{\gamma}\frac{2+z}{1-cos\left(z\right)}dz[/tex]
along a counter-clockwise circle of radius 1 centered at z=6

Homework Equations

Cauchy's integral formula
[tex]f\left(z\right)=\frac{1}{i*2\pi}\int_{\gamma}\frac{f\left(w\right)}{w-z}dw[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the integrand has a pole at 2*pi inside the contour, but since this pole is inside a trig function, I don't know how to isolate it and find an f(z) to use in Cauchy's integral formula. Any tips?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try expanding the integrand as a Laurent series about z=2π.

That's not really helping. I can calculate

[PLAIN]http://www.sharpermath.com/cgi/mimetex.cgi?\frac{1+z}{1-cos(z)}%20=%20\frac{1+z}{(z-2pi)[{\frac{(z-2\pi)}{2!}-\frac{(z-2\pi)^3}{4!}+\frac{(z-2\pi)^5}{6!}-+...]}

But I guess I don't see how this helps. Sorry we've never used Laurent series to solve path integrals in my class, just found the series themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good start. Now write it like this:

[tex]\frac{1+z}{1-\cos z} = \frac{(1+2\pi)+(z-2\pi)}{(z-2\pi)^2\left[\frac{1}{2!}-\frac{(z-2\pi)^2}{4!}+\cdots\right]}[/tex]

Everything's written in terms of (z-2π). You want to get a series in powers of (z-2π).

The reason you want to do this is because the contour integral is equal to [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the residue at the pole at z=2π, and the residue is the coefficient of the [itex](z-2\pi)^{-1}[/itex] term. Note this means you don't actually have to calculate the whole series but just the one coefficient.

OK I understand now, but is there an easier way to find that one coefficient other than lots and lots of algebraic manipulation?

You can use whatever method you want to find the residue at the pole. I think using a Laurent series often ends up being the least tedious, but you have to learn how to work with series. The key is to only look at the terms that will give you the one you want. For instance, in this problem, you have

[tex]\frac{1+z}{1-\cos z} = \frac{(1+2\pi)}{(z-2\pi)^2\left[\frac{1}{2!}-\frac{(z-2\pi)^2}{4!}+\cdots\right]} + \frac{(z-2\pi)}{(z-2\pi)^2\left[\frac{1}{2!}-\frac{(z-2\pi)^2}{4!}+\cdots\right]}[/tex]

The whole first term only has even powers of (z-2π), so it can not contribute to the residue. You can completely ignore it. The second term is proportional to (z-2π)-1, so you only need the very first term of the series.

If you have a simple pole, it's sometimes straightforward to just multiply by (z-z0) and take the limit. In this problem, you had a second-order pole, which means you'd have to differentiate, which means differentiating a quotient. I think it ends up being more algebra than figuring out the series.

OK I understand what needs to be done and found the answer, so thank you so much. For posterity's sake however, I considered the term,

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-2\pi)\left[\frac{1}{2!}-\frac{(z-2\pi)^2}{4!}+\cdots\right]}[/tex],

Found the closed-form of the series, found its reciprocal, and turned it back into a series. The first term of this series was the term I needed, and the term was 2.

Related to Caunchy's Integral Formula w/ trigonometric pole

1. What is Cauchy's Integral Formula with trigonometric pole?

Cauchy's Integral Formula with trigonometric pole is a mathematical theorem that allows for the evaluation of complex integrals. It is based on the Cauchy-Riemann equations and is used to find the value of a complex function at a point inside a region where the function is holomorphic.

2. How is Cauchy's Integral Formula with trigonometric pole derived?

The formula is derived from the Cauchy Integral Theorem, which states that for a contour integral around a closed path, the value of the integral is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at the poles inside the contour. By applying this theorem to a function with a trigonometric pole, we can obtain Cauchy's Integral Formula with trigonometric pole.

3. What is a trigonometric pole?

A trigonometric pole is a point at which a complex function has an infinite discontinuity, similar to a singularity. It is characterized by a denominator that goes to zero as the independent variable approaches the pole. In Cauchy's Integral Formula, the function has a pole at a point inside the contour of integration.

4. What are the applications of Cauchy's Integral Formula with trigonometric pole?

This formula has many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is commonly used in the evaluation of complex integrals, as well as in solving problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of contour integration and complex analysis.

5. Can Cauchy's Integral Formula with trigonometric pole be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Cauchy's Integral Formula can be extended to higher dimensions, such as in the Cauchy-Pompeiu Formula, which evaluates integrals over a 2D region. There are also versions of the formula that apply to 3D regions and higher, known as the Cauchy-Crofton Formula and the Cauchy-Picard Formula, respectively.