Causality and the inhomogeneous wave equation with a moving source

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their solutions to a governing equation with physical parameters. They are having trouble understanding the results and expect to see an increase in response along a ray traveling at c_g, but do not see the same response from the ray traveling at c. They also do not see a ray traveling at -c and are unsure if their implementation on a half domain is causing issues. They are open to suggestions and it is suggested to analyze the analytical solution of the problem with linear A(x).
nickthequick
Hi,

I am confused about my solutions to the following governing equation:

[tex] u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}=F_{xx} [/tex]

For [tex]F=A(x)sech^2\left(\frac{x-c_gt}{B}\right) [/tex]

Where [itex]c,c_g,B \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] and [itex] A(x)[/itex] is a linear function. Also, we have [itex]c_g<c[/itex]. Substituting physical values for the parameters, I can solve the equation using a 2-d integrator to implement the method of Duhamel. My solutions are unclear to me though.

I expect to see the intensity of the response increase with position, as it does along the ray traveling at [itex]c_g[/itex]. I do not, however, see the same response out of the ray traveling at [itex]c[/itex]. I also do not see a ray traveling at [itex]-c[/itex], as I naively would expect. In the plot attached, the ray traveling at speed c is the lower one, since this is an x-t diagram.

I also would think that the ray traveling at speed c would constantly be generated at the location of the forcing, otherwise it is unclear to me how the information from the forcing would get to the faster wave traveling at speed c.

I think my numerical implementation is fine. Perhaps the fact that I'm working on the half domain, [itex] x \ge 0 [/itex] is messing things up?

Any help is appreciated,

Nick

Attachments

• testplot.jpg
    testplot.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I can not grasp the physical sense of your problem out of hand from your picture, but it seems to me that you may analyse the analytical solution of your problem.

For linear [itex]A(x)=ax+b[/itex] the general solution to your PDE is relatively easy:

[itex]u(t,x) = C_1(x+ct)+C_2(x-ct)+4\{[-a(c^2-c_g^2)x-bc^2+c_g^2(aB+b)]\exp[-2(x-c_gt)/B]+aBc_g^2\}\{exp[-2(x-c_gt)/B]+1\}^{-2}(c^2-c_g^2)^{-2},[/itex]

where [itex]C_1,C_2[/itex] are arbitrary functions.

I hope that the like solution can be found for more complicated [itex]A(x)[/itex].

Then you have to impose the initial conditions of your physical problem to obtain particular solution which then can be analysed under your goals.

Related to Causality and the inhomogeneous wave equation with a moving source

1. What is causality and how does it relate to the inhomogeneous wave equation with a moving source?

Causality is the principle that an effect can only be caused by a preceding cause, and not the other way around. In the context of the inhomogeneous wave equation with a moving source, this means that the movement of the source is the cause of the resulting wave, and not vice versa.

2. How does the inhomogeneous wave equation differ from the homogeneous wave equation?

The inhomogeneous wave equation includes an additional term that accounts for the presence of a source or external force, whereas the homogeneous wave equation assumes no external influence. This allows for a more realistic representation of wave propagation in real-world scenarios.

3. Can the inhomogeneous wave equation with a moving source be solved analytically?

In most cases, the inhomogeneous wave equation with a moving source cannot be solved analytically due to its complex nature. However, numerical methods can be used to approximate the solution and provide accurate results.

4. What is the significance of a moving source in the inhomogeneous wave equation?

A moving source in the inhomogeneous wave equation represents a dynamic and changing environment, where the source of the wave is not stationary. This could be seen in scenarios such as earthquakes, sound waves from a moving object, or electromagnetic waves from a moving particle.

5. How does the speed of the source affect the resulting wave in the inhomogeneous wave equation?

The speed of the source can significantly impact the resulting wave in the inhomogeneous wave equation. A faster moving source will produce a higher frequency wave, while a slower moving source will result in a lower frequency wave. Additionally, the direction of the source's movement can also affect the direction of the resulting wave.