Center of mass of area described by implicit function

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt at finding the center of mass of a given region using a substitution method. The steps involved in the attempt are outlined, including the use of Jacobian and integrals, but the speaker encounters difficulties in solving the final integral. They seek suggestions or alternative approaches for solving the problem.
Mare102

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the center of mass of the region (x²+y²)² =2xy in the first quadrant, but I got stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is make the substitution x = r cos(t), y = r sin(t), which gives the equation [tex]r^{4}=2r²cos(t) sin(t)[/tex], so r² = sin(2t), so [tex]r=\sqrt{sin(2t)}[/tex].
Then the integral for the area of the region becomes (as the Jacobian is r)
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \int_0^{\sqrt{sin(2t)}} \! r \, dr dt[/tex]

Solving this gives me 0.5.
I’m trying to find the x value of the center of mass, so I want to solve:
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \int_0^{\sqrt{sin(2t)}} \! r² cos(t) \, dr dt[/tex]
Which gives me
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \! sin(2t)^{1.5} cos(t) \, dt[/tex]

Which I’m unable to solve. Mathematica gives me a complicated integral, so does anyone know how to proceed, or maybe suggest a different approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mare102 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the center of mass of the region (x²+y²)² =2xy in the first quadrant, but I got stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is make the substitution x = r cos(t), y = r sin(t), which gives the equation [tex]r^{4}=2r²cos(t) sin(t)[/tex],
In the above, what you show is correct, but the exponent on r on the right side renders incorrectly. Use ^ for exponents inside LaTeX expressions. The same problem occurs below, in you integral for My (in your calculation for x-bar).
Mare102 said:
so r² = sin(2t), so [tex]r=\sqrt{sin(2t)}[/tex].
Then the integral for the area of the region becomes (as the Jacobian is r)
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \int_0^{\sqrt{sin(2t)}} \! r \, dr dt[/tex]

Solving this gives me 0.5.
I’m trying to find the x value of the center of mass, so I want to solve:
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \int_0^{\sqrt{sin(2t)}} \! r² cos(t) \, dr dt[/tex]
The LaTeX expression you want (and mean) is
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \int_0^{\sqrt{sin(2t)}} \! r^2 cos(t) \, dr dt[/tex]

Mare102 said:
Which gives me
[tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \! sin(2t)^{1.5} cos(t) \, dt[/tex]
You're missing a factor of 1/3 in the integral above. I don't have any good ideas for proceeding here, though.
Mare102 said:
Which I’m unable to solve. Mathematica gives me a complicated integral, so does anyone know how to proceed, or maybe suggest a different approach?

Related to Center of mass of area described by implicit function

What is the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function?

The center of mass of an area described by an implicit function is a point that represents the average location of the mass within the area. It is the point where the mass of the area can be balanced on a pivot without any rotation.

How is the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function calculated?

The center of mass of an area described by an implicit function is calculated by using the formula:
x̄ = (1/A) * ∫∫x*f(x,y) dA
ȳ = (1/A) * ∫∫y*f(x,y) dA
where A is the total area of the region and f(x,y) is the implicit function that defines the boundaries of the region.

Why is finding the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function important?

Finding the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function is important because it helps in understanding the distribution of mass within the area. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture to determine the stability and balance of structures.

What factors can affect the location of the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function?

The location of the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function can be affected by the shape, size, and density of the area. It can also be influenced by the presence of holes, concave regions, and varying densities within the area.

Can the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function be located outside of the region?

Yes, it is possible for the center of mass of an area described by an implicit function to be located outside of the region. This can occur if the distribution of mass within the region is uneven or if there are holes or concave regions within the area.