Center of mass to find support reactions at pins for a homogeneous flat plate

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the reactions at supports A and B for a homogeneous flat plate with a mass of 50 kg. The speaker mentions using composite areas to find the centroid location, which they determine to be at (0.566,0.183) m. They then question how to use this information to find the support reactions, but ultimately realize that finding the centroid was all that was necessary. The final answer for the reactions is By = 198 N and Ay = 292 N.
musicmar

Homework Statement

The mass of the homogeneous flat plate is 50 kg. Determine the reactions at the supports A and B. I've attached the diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I will need to find the center of mass. I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I found the centroid location first by using composite areas and the formula xbar=∑(x~)A/∑A and similar for y.
I found the centroid location to be at (0.566,0.183) m.

I have two questions.
If I find the center of mass, do I then just treat the mass as a concentrated load at that point horizontally and find the reactions using the moment about A or B and the sum of the forces in the y?
Can someone point me in the right direction for finding the center of mass from here?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG00146-20110828-2221.jpg
    IMG00146-20110828-2221.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out. I didn't need to do anything beyond finding the centroid location to find the support reactions. I got an answer of By= 198 N and Ay = 292 N

You got it. But they made finding the centroid a bit of an exercise, eh?

Related to Center of mass to find support reactions at pins for a homogeneous flat plate

1. What is the center of mass of a homogeneous flat plate?

The center of mass of a homogeneous flat plate is the point at which the mass of the plate is evenly distributed in all directions. This point can be thought of as the balance point of the plate.

2. Why is it important to find the center of mass in a flat plate?

Finding the center of mass is important because it allows us to accurately determine the support reactions at pins for the flat plate. This information is crucial in designing structures and ensuring their stability.

3. How is the center of mass calculated for a flat plate?

The center of mass for a flat plate can be calculated using the formula: x̄ = ∫x dm / ∫dm, where x̄ is the location of the center of mass, x is the distance from the center of mass to a given point on the plate, and dm is the mass element at that point.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of the flat plate?

No, the center of mass of a flat plate will always be located within the boundaries of the plate. This is because the plate is a two-dimensional object and all of its mass is contained within its surface.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the location of the center of mass in a flat plate?

The distribution of mass in a flat plate can greatly affect the location of the center of mass. If the mass is evenly distributed, the center of mass will be located in the geometric center of the plate. However, if the mass is unevenly distributed, the center of mass will shift towards the heavier side of the plate.