Central Forces related problem

In summary, the problem involves a particle subjected to a central force with an angular momentum "l". The equation of the orbit is given as r=a/(phi+1)^2, where "r" is the distance to the center of forces and "a" is a constant. The task is to find the potential energy and force applied to the particle, and to analyze the characteristics of the orbit depending on its energy. The equations used are E=(1/2)m(dr/dt)^2 + (l^2)/(2mr^2) + U(r) and F=-dU/dr. The graph of the orbit resembles the potential energy graph, but the focus is on the behavior of the particle as phi increases. It cannot
TimeLordo123

Homework Statement

The problem is related with central forces. In the problem I am given the equation of the orbit of a particle subjected to a central force (with an angular momentum "l"), r=a/(phi+1)^2 (where "r" is de distance to the center of forces and "a" a constant). I am asked for the potential energy of the particle, the force applied to it and then I am asked to discuss qualitatively the characteristics of the orbit of a particle subjected to this force, depending on its energy.

Homework Equations

E=(1/2)m(dr/dt)^2 + (l^2)/(2mr^2) + U(r)
F=-dU/dr

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Getting to the potential energy of the particle and force applied to it is rather easy, and I am sure the following expressions are correct: U(r)=E-(l^2/(2mr^2))(1+(4r/a)) and F=-(l^2/(mr^2))(2/a+1/r). I think the graph I am looking for is something like this: http://l27.imgup.net/adasdad3f46.jpg . However now I don't know what levels of energy to use, and what to say about them. My guess would be that I have to simply use one positive and one negative level of energy.

Could someone help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
TimeLordo123 said:
I am asked for the potential energy of the particle, the force applied to it and then I am asked to discuss qualitatively the characteristics of the orbit of a particle subjected to this force, depending on its energy.

Homework Equations

E=(1/2)m(dr/dt)^2 + (l^2)/(2mr^2) + U(r)
F=-dU/dr

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Getting to the potential energy of the particle and force applied to it is rather easy, and I am sure the following expressions are correct: U(r)=E-(l^2/(2mr^2))(1+(4r/a)) and F=-(l^2/(mr^2))(2/a+1/r). I think the graph I am looking for is something like this: http://l27.imgup.net/adasdad3f46.jpg .
Your graph is the potential energy in terms of r, but you are asked about the graph of the orbit. How does it look like? What happens with the particle with increasing phi? Can it stay on a stationary orbit? What energy it should have then?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards a fixed point, called the center. This means that the object will always move in the direction of the center, regardless of its initial position or velocity.

2. What are some examples of central forces?

Some examples of central forces include gravity, electrostatic force, and magnetic force. These forces all act towards a central point, such as the center of the Earth, the center of a charged object, or the center of a magnetic field.

3. How are central forces related to circular motion?

Central forces are directly related to circular motion, as they are the forces that keep an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion, the force is always directed towards the center of the circle, which is why it is considered a central force.

4. What is the difference between a central force and a non-central force?

The main difference between a central force and a non-central force is the direction in which they act. A central force always acts towards a central point, while a non-central force can act in any direction.

5. How are central forces calculated and represented mathematically?

Central forces can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Mathematically, central forces are typically represented using vector notation, with the direction of the force pointing towards the center and the magnitude determined by the specific force equation.