Centre of the ring of quaternions

In summary, the centre of the ring of quaternions \mathbf{H} is defined as Z(\mathbf{H}) = \{A | AX=XA, \forall X \in \mathbf{H}\}. To find elements in the centre, it must commute with all elements in \mathbf{H}. Therefore, the elements in the form of [a 0][0 a] will only be in the centre if a is a real number. Otherwise, it will not commute with all elements in \mathbf{H}.
Wingeer

Homework Statement

What is the centre of the ring of the quaternions defined by:
[tex]\mathbf{H}=\{ \begin{pmatrix}
a & b \\
-\bar{b} & \bar{a} \end{pmatrix} | a,b \in \mathbf{C} \}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The definition of the centre of a ring:
The centre Z of a ring R is defined by [tex]Z(R)=\{A | AX=XA, \forall X \in R\}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that multiples of the 2x2 identity matrix must be in the centre.
Also if we denote an element of H by:
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} x & y \\
-\bar{y} & \bar{x} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
where [tex]x=x_1 + ix_2[/tex] and similarly for a,b and y that:
1. [tex]b\bar{y}=\bar{b}y[/tex]
2. [tex]y(a-\bar{a})=b(x-\bar{x})[/tex]
3. [tex]\bar{b}(x-\bar{x})=\bar{y}(a-\bar{a})[/tex]

Then for instance we get from the first equation that:
[tex]b_2x_1=a_1y_2[/tex]
But I am not sure whether this approach really is any useful at all. Some hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?
I actually have another question about the quaternions. I am asked to show that:
[tex]\mathbf{H'} = \{ a+bi+cj+dk | a,b,c,d \in \mathbf{R} \}[/tex]
with: i^2=j^2=k^2=-1, ij=k=-ji, ik=-j=-ki and jk=i=-kj.

is isomorphic as rings to the quaternions defined in the previous post.
I started by noticing that (where x,y are complex numbers):
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
x & y \\
-\bar{x} & \bar{y} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
a+bi & c+di \\
c-di & a-bi \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
a & 0 \\
0 & a \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix}
bi & 0 \\
0 & bi \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix}
0 & c \\
-c & 0 \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix}
0 & di \\
di & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And so we see that every element in H is a linear combination of these matrices which all are linearly independent as well. This means we have found a basis for H.
So if we define a function f:H -> H' by:
[tex]1= f \left( \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \right)[/tex]
[tex]i=f \left( \begin{pmatrix}
i & 0 \\
0 & i \end{pmatrix}\right)[/tex]
[tex]j=f \left( \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
-1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\right)[/tex]
[tex]k=f \left( \begin{pmatrix}
0 & i \\
i & 0 \end{pmatrix}\right)[/tex]

We see that obviously f is both surjective and injective as these are the only values f are defined for. Therefore f is an bijection and H and H' are isomorphic. Do I have to mix ring homomorphisms in this? Or?

You've have the right general ideas there. Let's call your matrices M1, Mi, Mj and Mk. By the way, I think you've Mi wrong, check it again. You need to define f for all matrices. But that's easy just define it to be the linear map H->H' defined by your mapping of the basis elements. That you have a bijection between H and H' isn't really in question, because you've mapped the basis for a four dimensional real vector space into the basis of another one. So it's a bijection. Now you have to worry whether it's a ring homomorphism. Ring addition is not a problem just because f is linear. It's multiplication you have to check. If f(xy)=f(x)f(y). For example is f(Mi*Mj)=f(Mi)f(Mj)?

Last edited:
note that it is sufficient to check the 16 possible products of M1,Mi,Mj,Mk because of linearity and the distributive laws.

your formula for Mi is indeed wrong, as the lower right coordinate is not the complex conjugate of the upper left coordinate, so that matrix isn't even in H.

with regard to your first problem, note that

[a 0]
[0 a] is not in Z(H) unless a is real, because:

[x+iy .0..][0 i]...[.0.. -y+ix]
[.0.. x-iy][i 0] = [b+ia ...0..]

whereas:

[0 i][x+iy .0.]...[...0.. y+ix]
[i 0][.0.. x-iy] = [-y+ix .0..], these two matrices aren't equal unless y = 0.

remember that an element of Z(H) has to commute with ALL of H, so if you find just ONE element of H a certain matrix doesn't commute with, that matrix cannot be in the center. so i suggest you find which matrices commute with your matrices Mi, Mj and Mk.

1. What is the centre of the ring of quaternions?

The centre of the ring of quaternions is the set of all elements that commute with every other element in the ring. In other words, the centre consists of all elements that can be multiplied by any other element in the ring without changing the result.

2. How do you determine the centre of the ring of quaternions?

To determine the centre of the ring of quaternions, you can use the commutativity property of quaternion multiplication. You can check if the product of two quaternions is equal to the product of the same two quaternions in a different order. If it is, then those quaternions are in the centre.

3. What is the significance of the centre of the ring of quaternions?

The centre of the ring of quaternions is important because it contains all the elements that behave in a special way under multiplication. These elements are called central elements, and they play a crucial role in the study of quaternions and other algebraic structures.

4. Is the centre of the ring of quaternions unique?

Yes, the centre of the ring of quaternions is unique. This is because the commutativity property of quaternion multiplication is satisfied by all elements in the centre, and any element that satisfies this property must belong to the centre.

5. Can the centre of the ring of quaternions be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the centre of the ring of quaternions to be empty. This would occur if there are no central elements in the ring, meaning that no elements commute with all other elements. This is a rare case, but it is possible depending on the specific ring of quaternions being studied.