Centripetal acceleration and friction

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the minimum coefficient of static friction for a "rotor-ride" at a carnival in order to prevent people from slipping down when the floor drops out. The situation involves a cylindrical "room" with a radius of 4.6 m and a rotation frequency of .5 revolutions per second. The solution involves using Newton's second law and the relationship between frictional force, normal reaction force, and weight to find the coefficient of friction. The conversation also touches on the concept of angular velocity in relation to the ride's rotation speed.
TickleMeElma
In a "rotor-ride" at a carnival, people are rotated in a cylindrically walled "room." The room radius is 4.6 m, and the rotation frequency is .5 revolutions per second when the floor drops out. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction so that the people will not slip down?

I am totally confused as to how to find that with only the frequency and radius provided. I was able to find the centripetal acceleration, but I am stuck now. I don't have the mass...so what about the forces?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, this might not be correct as I've only just covered this myself...

Under the conditions you describe the ride should have a radial acceleration of -r*omega^2. From Newton's second law F=ma, so the force exerted on the walls of the ride is equal to -m*r*(omega^2) - therefore the normal reaction force should be opposite to that. As Frictional force = coefficient of friction * normal reaction force, and the frictional force has to equal the weight of the people, mu*R = mg, where R = m*r*(omega^2), the mass cancels out and so it's possible to find mu (I get a very small value of mu but as the ride's moving at an insanely fast speed through a large circle the value one gets should be rather low).

Cheers,
Just some guy.

Ok, that makes perfect sense. But what do you mean when you say omega??

thanks.

TickleMeElma said:
Ok, that makes perfect sense. But what do you mean when you say omega??
thanks.

Angular velocity in radians per second (as it makes a revolution in .5 seconds it's moving at 2 revolutions per second which is 4pi radians per second which is the angular velocity).

Related to Centripetal acceleration and friction

1) What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path. It is always directed perpendicular to the velocity of an object in circular motion.

2) How is centripetal acceleration related to friction?

Friction is one of the forces that can create centripetal acceleration. When an object is moving in a circular path, friction acts as the centripetal force that keeps the object moving in that path.

3) How does centripetal acceleration affect an object's speed?

Centripetal acceleration does not directly affect an object's speed. Instead, it changes the direction of the object's velocity, causing it to move in a circular path rather than a straight line.

4) Does centripetal acceleration always point towards the center of a circle?

Yes, by definition, centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circle. This is what allows an object to maintain a circular path.

5) How can friction be reduced to decrease centripetal acceleration?

To decrease centripetal acceleration, you can decrease the friction between an object and its circular path. This can be achieved by reducing the force of friction, such as by using smoother surfaces or lubricants, or by decreasing the speed of the object in circular motion.