Change in ammeter reading due to change in resistance

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the current in each small branch of a circuit with a higher resistance. The previous approach was calculating new total resistance of circuit, hence finding new main current and from the ratios of resistors in two branches calcuate the current in each small branch. However, this new approach cannot be used because it gives a different current in each small branch.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2015-8-19_22-25-11.png

Homework Equations

1/R= 1/R1 + 1/R2 +...
I1= R2/R1 x I

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose B because I thought that since total resistance in the branch of variable resistor has increased, the branch with ammeter will get a greater share of current. Since I'm not too sure about it because the overall increase in resistance does cause a drop in main current, I put in some random values of R and V , and I still get an increase in ammeter reading. So why is the answer C?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your ammeter, with its internal resistance, are shown in parallel to the battery, so

1) the rest of the circuit is irrelevant to the ammeter reading
2) the ammeter will likely burn up rather quickly, or if it is strong enough not to, your battery will melt down due to the short circuit.

phinds said:
Your ammeter, with its internal resistance, are shown in parallel to the battery, so

1) the rest of the circuit is irrelevant to the ammeter reading
2) the ammeter will likely burn up rather quickly, or if it is strong enough not to, your battery will melt down due to the short circuit.
Huh? Isn't that symbol a resistor? It's not stated in the question that it's the internal resistance of ammeter...

toforfiltum said:
Huh? Isn't that symbol a resistor? It's not stated in the question that it's the internal resistance of ammeter...
Oh. I just assume that's what it was. Perhaps a bad assumption. In that case, ignore my point 2. Point 1 still holds.

phinds said:
Oh. I just assume that's what it was. Perhaps a bad assumption. In that case, ignore my point 2. Point 1 still holds.
Why? Isn't ammeter connected to circuit too?

toforfiltum said:
Why? Isn't ammeter connected to circuit too?
Sure. And you could connect it to lots of other resistors too, but all would be irrelevant. The resistor/ammeter pair are connected directly across the battery and no amount of other circuitry is going to change that.

phinds said:
Sure. And you could connect it to lots of other resistors too, but all would be irrelevant. The resistor/ammeter pair are connected directly across the battery and no amount of other circuitry is going to change that.
:confused: I still don't understand. If I increase the resistance in variable resistor, this will cause an overall drop in current.
I don't know... I just put in some random values...into the components and I do get an increase in ammeter reading.

So...I can't see why it's irrelevant.:smile:

toforfiltum said:
I chose B because I thought that since total resistance in the branch of variable resistor has increased, the branch with ammeter will get a greater share of current. Since I'm not too sure about it because the overall increase in resistance does cause a drop in main current, I put in some random values of R and V , and I still get an increase in ammeter reading. So why is the answer C?
Hint : Use Kirchoff's loop law in one inner , and one outer loop , both of which include the battery .

Qwertywerty said:
Hint : Use Kirchoff's loop law in one inner , and one outer loop , both of which include the battery .
Ah I see now. Since potential drop is always the same across resistor in outer loop, and its resistance is constant, I also must be constant.
Thanks for this 'light-bulb' moment.:smile:

toforfiltum said:
Ah I see now. Since potential drop is always the same across resistor in outer loop, and its resistance is constant, I also must be constant.
Thanks for this 'light-bulb' moment.:smile:
Then your drawing does not represent what you think it represents.

EDIT: OOPS. I was responding to a different post (#7)

phinds said:
Then your drawing does not represent what you think it represents.

EDIT: OOPS. I was responding to a different post (#7)
Yes. I see where I'm wrong now. Got the ratios of currents wrong.:-p

toforfiltum said:
Yes. I see where I'm wrong now. Got the ratios of currents wrong.:-p
Ratios of currents in this case have nothing to do with the ammeter reading.

phinds said:
Ratios of currents in this case have nothing to do with the ammeter reading.
Uhhm...ratios of resistors?

toforfiltum said:
Uhhm...ratios of resistors?
Has nothing to do with the ammeter reading in this circuit.

phinds said:
Has nothing to do with the ammeter reading in this circuit.
is it because of what I've said in post #9?
Then, my previous approach cannot be used at all is it?

toforfiltum said:
is it because of what I've said in post #9?
yes
Then, my previous approach cannot be used at all is it?
Not sure what your previous approach was but if it gives anything but a constant reading on the ammeter it's wrong.

phinds said:
yes
Not sure what your previous approach was but if it gives anything but a constant reading on the ammeter it's wrong.
my previous approach was calculating new total resistance of circuit, hence finding new main current and from the ratios of resistors in two branches calcuate the current in each small branch.

phinds said:
yes
my previous approach was calculating new total resistance of circuit, hence finding new main current and from the ratios of resistors in two branches calcuate the current in each small branch.

toforfiltum said:
New main current has nothing to do with what flows through the ammeter. At this point I'm not sure whether you're just trolling to see how long you can string me along trying to explain this trivial fact. Draw the circuit without the middle vertical part there at all. That's what the ammeter sees. Nothing else is relevant to the ammeter.

1. What is the relationship between resistance and ammeter reading?

The ammeter reading is directly affected by the resistance in the circuit. As the resistance increases, the ammeter reading decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does changing the resistance in a circuit affect the ammeter reading?

Changing the resistance in a circuit changes the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This change in current is directly reflected in the ammeter reading.

3. Can changing the resistance in a circuit damage the ammeter?

Yes, changing the resistance in a circuit can potentially damage the ammeter if the resistance is changed too drastically. It is important to use resistors and other components within the specified range to prevent damage to the ammeter.

4. Is there a limit to how much the resistance can be changed without affecting the ammeter reading?

It depends on the specific circuit and components being used. Generally, the resistance can be changed within a certain range without significantly affecting the ammeter reading. However, if the resistance is changed too much, it can result in a significant change in the ammeter reading.

5. How can I calculate the change in ammeter reading due to a change in resistance?

The change in ammeter reading can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. By rearranging the formula to solve for I, we can calculate the change in current (and therefore the ammeter reading) by dividing the change in voltage by the change in resistance.