Change in gravitational potential energy for a slender

In summary: But it can be tricky to find the expression for the potential energy when points have moved. To circumvent this issue, one can use the principle of least action. This principle states that the path of a particle or body that will minimize its energy is the path that goes through the fewest potential energy points. So, by taking the path of least action, one can find the expression for the potential energy of the rod.
zeralda21

Homework Statement

I'll provide a picture for a clearer view: http://i.imgur.com/wkXPcJn.jpg

Suppose that the slender rod starts at rest at theta = 0. For convenience we chose the datum at theta = 0.
Now I want to calculate the gravitational potential energy at a later instant when theta = theta_0. But it's tricky since some points of the rod have moved a distance (0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0) and some points have not moved at all. So how does one deal with this case? I have a solution but how should I do in the general case?

Just to be clear: I am looking for an analytical approach to it that does not involve some intuition because that can
be dangerous...

The Attempt at a Solution

Think of the slender rod as a huge amounts of points uniformly spread. For each point at one side of the mass center there is a point on the other side of the mass center so that the distance between these are the distance from O to the mass center. Hence it should be mg(0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0)/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zeralda21 said:

Homework Statement

I'll provide a picture for a clearer view: http://i.imgur.com/wkXPcJn.jpg

Suppose that the slender starts at rest at theta = 0. For convenience we chose the datum at theta = 0.
Now I want to calculate the gravitational potential energy at a later instant when theta = theta_0. But it's tricky since some points of the slender have moved a distance (0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0) and some points have not moved at all. So how does one deal with this case? I have a solution but how should I do in the general case?

Just to be clear: I am looking for an analytical approach to it that does not involve some intuition because that can
be dangerous...

The Attempt at a Solution

Think of the slender as a huge amounts of points uniformly spread. For each point at one side of the mass center there is a point on the other side of the mass center so that the distance between these are the distance from O to the mass center. Hence it should be mg(0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0)/2
A slender what ?

The word slender is not a noun.

I am sorry. I thought slender and rod is the same thing. I mean a slender rod

Yes.

mg((0.6+0.2)/2)sin(θ0) is a valid expression for the gravitational potential energy of the rod.

I would approach this problem by using the principles of conservation of energy and work. In this case, the gravitational potential energy of the slender rod can be calculated by considering the work done by gravity as the rod moves from its initial position at theta = 0 to its final position at theta = theta_0.

To do this, I would divide the rod into small segments and calculate the work done by gravity on each segment as it moves. The work done by gravity on a segment can be calculated as the product of its mass, the gravitational acceleration, and the vertical displacement of its center of mass. This can be expressed as W = mgh, where m is the mass of the segment, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the vertical displacement of the segment's center of mass.

By summing up the work done by gravity on each segment, we can calculate the total change in gravitational potential energy of the rod. This approach is analytical and does not rely on intuition, making it a reliable method for calculating the change in gravitational potential energy for any given position of the rod.

In the case of the specific scenario given, where the rod starts at rest and the datum is chosen at theta = 0, the calculation simplifies to mg(0.6+0.2)sin(theta_0)/2, as stated in the attempt at a solution. However, this approach can be used for any general case, as long as the work done by gravity on each segment is properly calculated.

Related to Change in gravitational potential energy for a slender

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a form of potential energy that is dependent on an object's mass and distance from the center of the gravitational field.

How does gravitational potential energy change for a slender object?

For a slender object, gravitational potential energy changes as the object's height or distance from the center of the gravitational field changes. As the object moves closer to the center of the field, its potential energy decreases, and as it moves farther away, its potential energy increases.

What factors affect the change in gravitational potential energy for a slender object?

The change in gravitational potential energy for a slender object is affected by its mass, the distance it moves, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. The greater the mass and distance, the larger the change in potential energy. A stronger gravitational field will also result in a larger change in potential energy.

How is the change in gravitational potential energy calculated for a slender object?

The change in gravitational potential energy for a slender object can be calculated using the formula ΔU = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational field strength, and h is the change in height or distance from the center of the field.

What are some real-life examples of changes in gravitational potential energy for slender objects?

A common example of a change in gravitational potential energy for a slender object is a rollercoaster. As the coaster goes up a hill, it gains potential energy and then releases it as it goes down the other side. Another example is a person climbing a ladder - as they climb higher, their potential energy increases, and as they descend, it decreases.