Change of Variables in Nonlinear DE: Am I Making a Mistake?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to transform a nonlinear differential equation into a separable one by using a change of variables. The transformation involves defining new variables u and v, and differentiating with respect to x. Ultimately, the equation is simplified to dv/du = v^2, and the conversation also addresses the confusion surrounding this step.
JasonJo
Am I insane or is this a typo:

Consider the nonlinear DE

dy/dx = (y-x)^2 + 1

Show that the change of variables, u=x, v = y-x transforms this DE into the seperable DE: dv/du = v^2

dv = dy
du=dx
dv/du = dy/dx = (y-x)^2 + 1 = v^2 + 1

not v^2

am i wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your expression for dv, where did dx go??
it should be dv = dy - dx

or you could have just differentiated v wrt x
taht is dv/dx which is the same as dv/du because of the way u is defined.

ok so dv/dx = -1, so dv/du = -1. so dv/du = -1(dy/dx), which is:

-1 - (y-x)^2 or -1 - v^2

i got that dv/du = dy/dx = (y-x)^2 + 1, but i can't get that dv/du = v^2 by itself.

Last edited:
JasonJo said:
ok so dv/dx = -1 , so dv/du = -1. so dv/du = -1(dy/dx), which is:

-1 - (y-x)^2 or -1 - v^2

i got that dv/du = dy/dx = (y-x)^2 + 1, but i can't get that dv/du = v^2 by itself.

ok this time you went and eliminated the y

this is what it should be
[tex] \frac{dv}{du} = \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dx} - \frac{dx}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dx} - 1 [/tex]
v and y are both funcions of x, so when you differentiate eitehr you get dv/dx and dy/dx.

I can't see the point of doing the u-substitution.

Just define [tex]v(x)=y(x)-x\to{y}(x)=v(x)+x\to\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dv}{dx}+1[/tex]

A simple substitution then yields:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}=v^{2}[/tex]

ahhhh!

thank you guys so much!

Related to Change of Variables in Nonlinear DE: Am I Making a Mistake?

1. What is a change of variables in differential equations?

A change of variables in differential equations is the process of transforming one set of independent and dependent variables into another set in order to simplify the equation or make it easier to solve. This is often done by substituting one variable for another or using a new coordinate system.

2. Why is a change of variables necessary in differential equations?

A change of variables is necessary in differential equations because it allows us to transform complex or unsolvable equations into simpler forms that can be solved more easily. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the equation and can provide insight into the behavior of the system.

3. What are the common methods for performing a change of variables in differential equations?

The most common methods for performing a change of variables in differential equations include substitution, transformation, and integration by parts. Substitution involves replacing one variable with another in the equation, while transformation involves converting the equation into a new form using trigonometric functions or logarithms. Integration by parts is a technique used to solve certain types of differential equations by breaking them down into simpler parts.

4. How do you choose the appropriate variables for a change of variables in differential equations?

The choice of variables for a change of variables in differential equations is dependent on the specific equation and the goal of the transformation. It is important to choose variables that will simplify the equation and make it easier to solve, while still maintaining the relationships between the original variables.

5. What are the benefits of using a change of variables in differential equations?

Using a change of variables in differential equations can provide several benefits, such as simplifying the equation, revealing patterns and relationships, and making it easier to solve. It can also help to gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior.