Change overwrite cursor to insert TI-30x series

• Calculators
  • Thread starter The_Nster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Series
In summary, the TI 30x calculators currently have an overwrite cursor, but it is possible to change it to an insert cursor on the TI 89. The process for changing the cursor on the TI 30x series is not clear, but using the ins function and 2nd->del may provide a workaround. However, the user is seeking a more intuitive and efficient way to insert numbers without constantly using the second->insert function.
The_Nster
Currently on the TI 30x calculators, the 'cursor' is a block the hovers above numbers and will overwrite them if a new number is pressed. However, is it possible to change the cursor to a line that sits in between numbers so you can easily insert numbers?

I know this is possible on the TI 89 but is it possible on the TI 30x series (the 30X multiview and the 30x pro)?

Thankyou in advance for your help!

Paging @CalcNerd for help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm unsure of how exactly to change the cursor, but if you're using the TI-30XIIS you should be able to use the ins function to insert numbers. 2nd-->del should allow you to do this. First move the cursor over the character where you're trying to insert the number, then hit 2nd-->del and then you should be able to add as many characters as you need before the one you were hovering over.

Barely Flannel said:
I'm unsure of how exactly to change the cursor, but if you're using the TI-30XIIS you should be able to use the ins function to insert numbers. 2nd-->del should allow you to do this. First move the cursor over the character where you're trying to insert the number, then hit 2nd-->del and then you should be able to add as many characters as you need before the one you were hovering over.
Thanks for the reply @Barely Fannel!
I do know that you can insert numbers via second->insert, but I am trying to find a way to change the cursor so I do not have to repeatedly click second->insert. Personally I believe an insert cursor is significantly more intuitive and easier to use than an overwrite cursor (hence why insert cursors are far more commonplace than overwrite cursors).
Cheers!

Likes Barely Flannel

What is a change overwrite cursor and how does it work?

A change overwrite cursor is a feature in the TI-30x series of scientific calculators that allows users to edit and change previously entered numbers or expressions without having to delete and re-enter the entire value. This is done by using the left and right arrow keys to position the cursor over the desired location and then typing in the new value, which will replace the existing one.

Can I disable the change overwrite cursor on my TI-30x calculator?

Yes, you can disable the change overwrite cursor by pressing the "2nd" button followed by the "MODE" button. This will bring up the calculator's mode menu, where you can navigate to the "Edit" option and choose "Insert" instead of "Overwrite". This will change the cursor to an insert mode, where new values will be inserted at the cursor location without overwriting existing ones.

Is it possible to change the speed of the change overwrite cursor on my calculator?

No, there is no option to change the speed of the change overwrite cursor on TI-30x calculators. The cursor moves at a default speed, which can be adjusted by changing the calculator's overall speed settings. However, this will affect the speed of all cursor movements and not just the change overwrite cursor.

What is the purpose of using the change overwrite cursor on a calculator?

The change overwrite cursor is designed to make editing and correcting mistakes on the TI-30x calculators easier and more efficient. Instead of having to delete and re-enter entire values, users can simply use the cursor to make changes in specific locations, saving time and reducing the likelihood of errors.

Does the change overwrite cursor work on all TI-30x calculator models?

Yes, the change overwrite cursor is a standard feature on all TI-30x calculator models, including the TI-30x IIS, TI-30x Multiview, and TI-30x Pro. Users can follow the same steps to use the cursor on any of these models.