Changing electric field and refractive index

In summary: Now solve for the velocity of the electron and you'll have the force on the electron and the resulting change in its velocity. The change in velocity will be due to the electric field. Electrons experiencing an electric field have their motion slowed down due to the electric field. This is what we refer to as the refractive index of the material.
AdityaDev
I am learning sky wave propagation and in my book, a relation between refractive index, dielectric constant and electro field strength is given.
[tex]\mu=\mu_0\sqrt{1-\frac{Ne^2}{\epsilon_0m\omega^2}}[/tex]
Is this a form of Kerr opto-electric effect? How do you get this expression? If you think I cannot understand the derivation, can you explain its meaning?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ## \mu ## in that expression?

Refractive index

AdityaDev said:
I am learning sky wave propagation and in my book, a relation between refractive index, dielectric constant and electro field strength is given.
[tex]\mu=\mu_0\sqrt{1-\frac{Ne^2}{\epsilon_0m\omega^2}}[/tex]
Is this a form of Kerr opto-electric effect? How do you get this expression? If you think I cannot understand the derivation, can you explain its meaning?
That looks like the refractive index for a plasma, where the plasma frequency is given by ##\omega_p^2=\frac{Ne^2}{\epsilon_0 m}##. In the context of the atmosphere, this would be referring to the ionosphere.

Yes it is refractive index of plasma, derived using Drude model for free electrons motion.

Vagn said:
That looks like the refractive index for a plasma, where the plasma frequency is given by ##\omega_p^2=\frac{Ne^2}{\epsilon_0 m}##. In the context of the atmosphere, this would be referring to the ionosphere.
Yes. It is for ionosphere. Its about reflection of waves from ionosphere. As N the number density of electrons increase, the value of ##\mu## decreases hence the critical angle increases.
I am studying in 12th standard. I know single variable variable integration and I know how to solve linear first order differential equations. Can you explain the relation between mu and Eletric field?

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes it is refractive index of plasma, derived using Drude model for free electrons motion.
Drude model explains the drift of electrons in a coductor when an electric field is applied right?

There's a few different approaches to the derivation. The most straight-forward, in my opinion, is to start by solving the equation of motion of a free electron under the influence of some incident plane-wave. This will allow you to calculate the polarization of the free electron gas and then find the dielectric function and then the refractive index.

Agree with DelcrossA.

blue_leaf77 said:
Agree with DelcrossA.
Can you explain Its basics?

Start with assuming an electron subjected to an electric field, in addition imagine there is also damping force experienced by the moving electron. As for this damping force, people commonly model it as being proportional to electron's velocity. Put all these forces into Newton's equation of motion.

Likes AdityaDev

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field created by electrically charged objects. It exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity, causing them to move.

2. How does an electric field affect the refractive index of a material?

The electric field can alter the polarizability of molecules in a material, which in turn affects the material's refractive index. This is known as the electro-optic effect.

3. Can the refractive index of a material be changed without an electric field?

Yes, the refractive index of a material can also be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical composition.

4. How is the refractive index measured?

The refractive index of a material can be measured using techniques such as refractometry, interferometry, and ellipsometry. These methods involve measuring the speed of light through the material and comparing it to the speed of light in a vacuum.

5. What are some applications of changing electric fields and refractive index?

This phenomenon is used in devices such as electro-optic modulators, which are used to control the intensity, phase, or polarization of light. It is also utilized in optical switches, sensors, and telecommunications systems.