Changing my major from marketing to physics

In summary, this student is currently in their junior year of college and has decided to change their major to physics. They have all their core requirements done, but will need to take electives to remain a full-time student. They are worried about this decision and would like some advice from other students.
Austin Matthews
I'm currently in my junior year of college at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (yes, the one without the football program) majoring in marketing. I decided on marketing because it was easy, and I just wanted to get through school. Having been in business courses for around 3 years now, I have realized that business is not for me, I do not find the material interesting, stimulating, or, quite frankly, useful. I miss being challenged. Marketing is also a field notorious for leaving many with degrees in it unemployed or waiting tables. I have gained a new perspective on education and have realized that it's so much more than just a ticket to make a bunch of money.

I was always good at math in school, and I always enjoyed doing the work. I had some bad science teachers growing up, so I was never too interested in science in school; however, since being out of high school, I have taken a huge interest in science, and I spend almost all my free time reading science books, listening to science podcasts, or watching science videos. The research I've done on physics has gotten me truly excited -- a feeling I haven't had regarding an academic subject since my first college math course.

I have recently just made the decision to change my major to physics. While being excited about this switch, I am, as you can imagine, pretty nervous. This has set my schooling back 2 or 3 years. I have all of my core requirements done, so I will have to take electives to remain a full-time student. For example, this fall I will be taking Calculus I, General Chemistry I + Lab, and an elective (Astronomy?). Do you guys have any advice you can give me regarding anything from electives to study tips to telling me how dumb of a decision I made?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have asked for this to be moved to academic guidance section

davenn said:
I have asked for this to be moved to academic guidance section
My apologies! I did not see that section.

no probs :)

welcome to PF

1. Can I change my major from marketing to physics?

Yes, it is possible to change your major from marketing to physics. However, you will need to meet the requirements and criteria of the physics department at your institution.

2. Will I have to start over if I change my major?

It depends on how many credits you have already completed in marketing and how many are required for a physics major. You may have to take additional courses to catch up, but some of your previous coursework may count towards your new major.

3. How will changing my major affect my graduation date?

Changing your major may delay your graduation date if you have to take additional courses to complete the requirements for a physics major. However, if you are able to transfer credits from your marketing courses, it may not have a significant impact on your graduation date.

4. Can I switch my major multiple times?

It is possible to switch your major multiple times, but it is not recommended. Changing your major can be a time-consuming process and may delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your options before making a decision to switch your major.

5. How will changing my major affect my career prospects?

Changing your major may have an impact on your career prospects, as it may change your area of expertise and the types of jobs you are qualified for. It is important to research the job market for physics majors and consider how it aligns with your career goals before making a decision to switch your major.