Characterising Coal Char Particles with XRD

In summary: Thank you very much. My lump samples of 6-15mm contain cracks of even 1-2mm here and there throughout the volume of the sample and thus the sample has a wide pore size distribution. I just wanted to know, if there is one such XRD equipment available at all for analysing it as lump sample! Although, 6-15 mm is accommodatable on the sample table of the powder XRD, i do not know whether doing it so would be right with the XRD meant for powder sample!
rubensudhakar
I want to characterise a coal char particle of size 6 to 15 mm using XRD. I am aware of powder XRD being done. But I want to subject the sample as it is as a lump particle. Is any such XRD possible. Will the XRD results of lumped sample differ from that of the powder sample? Please explain.

thanks in advance
Ruben Sudhakar

Physics news on Phys.org
rubensudhakar said:
I want to characterise a coal char particle of size 6 to 15 mm using XRD. I am aware of powder XRD being done. But I want to subject the sample as it is as a lump particle. Is any such XRD possible. Will the XRD results of lumped sample differ from that of the powder sample? Please explain.

Hi !
I think X-ray diffraction results of lumped sample and powder sample are different.

At first, I know have two forms of sample which prepared to characterize by XRD, are thin film and powder. That means XRD instrument will analysis better for closed packing sample. If your sample include "bulk" powders, it can not reach to closed packing as well as two forms above.

The second, when you use lumped sample, it means that content is powders. Each powder has specific orientation in sample, and give diffraction beam differently. So, if it can, you still have some errors about peak intensity and may be peak broaden ...

Some ideas.

Thank you very much.
My lump samples of 6-15mm contain cracks of even 1-2mm here and there throughout the volume of the sample and thus the sample has a wide pore size distribution. I just wanted to know, if there is one such XRD equipment available at all for analysing it as lump sample! Although, 6-15 mm is accommodatable on the sample table of the powder XRD, i do not know whether doing it so would be right with the XRD meant for powder sample!

Thanks once again
regards
Ruben Sudhakar

bluemonster said:
Hi !
I think X-ray diffraction results of lumped sample and powder sample are different.

At first, I know have two forms of sample which prepared to characterize by XRD, are thin film and powder. That means XRD instrument will analysis better for closed packing sample. If your sample include "bulk" powders, it can not reach to closed packing as well as two forms above.

The second, when you use lumped sample, it means that content is powders. Each powder has specific orientation in sample, and give diffraction beam differently. So, if it can, you still have some errors about peak intensity and may be peak broaden ...

Some ideas.

1. What is XRD and how does it work?

XRD stands for X-ray diffraction, which is a technique used to study the crystal structure of materials. It works by directing a beam of X-rays at a sample and measuring how the X-rays are scattered, which can provide information about the arrangement of atoms in the material.

2. Why is XRD used to characterise coal char particles?

XRD is used to characterise coal char particles because it can provide information about the mineral composition and crystal structure of the particles. This can help determine the properties and potential uses of the coal char, such as its reactivity and energy potential.

3. What are the advantages of using XRD for coal char particle characterisation?

One advantage of using XRD for coal char particle characterisation is that it is a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample can be reused or further analysed. Additionally, XRD can provide detailed information about the crystal structure and composition of the particles, which can be useful for understanding their properties and potential applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using XRD for coal char particle characterisation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using XRD for coal char particle characterisation. For example, XRD is not suitable for characterising amorphous materials, so it may not provide accurate results for coal char particles that have undergone significant thermal treatment. XRD also requires a relatively large sample size, which may be a limitation for some studies.

5. How is XRD data analysed and interpreted for coal char particles?

XRD data for coal char particles is typically analysed by comparing the diffraction pattern to known patterns of minerals and crystal structures. This can help identify the mineral composition and crystal structure of the particles. Other techniques, such as Rietveld refinement, can also be used to quantitatively analyse the data and determine the relative amounts of different mineral phases present in the sample.