What Force Acts Between Hemispheres of a Charged Soap Bubble?

In summary, the correct expression for the force per unit area on the bubble is given by ##\frac{1}{2}E_r\sigma##, where ##E_r## is the field at the outer surface of the bubble. This accounts for the forces on different patches of area pointing in different directions. To obtain the total force acting on the hemisphere, the pressure must be multiplied by the area of a circle with a radius equal to the radius of the hemisphere. This can be obtained by integrating over the hemisphere using spherical coordinates or by considering the forces on the curved and flat surfaces of the hemisphere.
Buffu

Homework Statement

There is a total of ##Q## charge on soap bubble of radius ##R##. What force is acting on one hemisphere by the other ?

Homework Equations

Electrostatic pressure is ##P_e = 2\pi \sigma^2## for a spherical shell.

The Attempt at a Solution

##P_e = F/A##

therefore ##F = AP_e = 2{A\over 2}\pi\sigma^2 = A \pi {Q^2 \over A^2} = {\pi Q^2 \over A} = {\pi Q^2 \over 4 \pi R^2} = {Q^2 \over 4\pi} ##

Given answer is ##{Q^2 \over \color{red}{8}\pi}##.

Where did I go wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your expression for electrostatic pressure is incorrect. It has the wrong dimensions. I suggest considering the force per unit area on the bubble which is, because the E field only has a radial component, $$F_r=E_r\sigma$$
By Gauss' Law, the R field just outside the surface is,$$E=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 R^2}$$
and the field inside the surface is zero. If you integrate the z component of force per unit area over one hemisphere you'll get the total force acting on it I.e.$$F=\left (\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R^2}\right )\sigma\left (2\pi R^2\right )\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}cos\left (\theta\right )sin\left (\theta\right )d\theta= \frac{Q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0 R^2}$$

Fred Wright said:
It has the wrong dimensions. I suggest considering the force per unit area on the bubble which is,because the E field only has a radial component,
Fr=Erσ​

Can you explain how you got this ?

Think you did,
Force per unit area is ##F/A = qE/A = \sigma E ##

Am I correct ?

Fred Wright said:
z component of force per unit area
What happened to x, y component ?

Yes, the force per unit area on the bubble is the E field multiplied by the change density. The total force between the two hemispheres is in the z direction.
I made a mistake in the integration by dropping a factor of 1/2. The answer I get is$$\frac{Q^2}{16\pi \epsilon_0 R^2}$$
Sorry:)

Fred Wright said:
Yes, the force per unit area on the bubble is the E field multiplied by the change density. The total force between the two hemispheres is in the z direction.
I made a mistake in the integration by dropping a factor of 1/2. The answer I get is$$\frac{Q^2}{16\pi \epsilon_0 R^2}$$

SInce you gave the expression for total then the answer should be ##\displaystyle {Q^2 \over 4R^2}## but this does not match the given answer ?

I took ##k=1## since the unit used in the book is cgs.

Fred Wright said:
From your integral I get $$\frac{Q^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R^2}$$

Fred Wright said:
I suggest considering the force per unit area on the bubble which is, because the E field only has a radial component, $$F_r=E_r\sigma$$
The force per unit area is ##\frac{1}{2}E_r\sigma##, where ##E_r## is the field at the outer surface of the bubble. The reason for the factor of 1/2 takes some thought.

For a derivation see http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/Surface_Force.pdf The result is given in equations (13) and (14) of this link. For the bubble, Ebelow of equation (14) is zero.

A different (somewhat hand-wavy) derivation is given in http://www.physicspages.com/2011/10/31/electrostatic-pressure/

Last edited:
TSny said:
The force per unit area is ##\frac{1}{2}E_r\sigma##, where ##E_r## is the field at the outer surface of the bubble. The reason for the factor of 1/2 takes some thought.

For a derivation see http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/Surface_Force.pdf The result is given in equations (13) and (14) of this link. For the bubble, Ebelow of equation (14) is zero.

A different (somewhat hand-wavy) derivation is given in http://www.physicspages.com/2011/10/31/electrostatic-pressure/

##F = {1\over 2}E\pi \sigma = {1\over 2}4\pi\sigma^2 = 2\pi\sigma^2##

I used this and I got wrong answer :(.

TSny said:

Oh I need to integrate over the hemisphere with this to get the answer but why can't I just multiple with this with the area ?

The forces on different patches of area point in different directions.

It is possible to show that the answer can be obtained by multiplying the pressure by the area of a circle of radius equal to the radius of the hemisphere. Consider a solid, uncharged hemisphere acted on all sides by a uniform atmospheric pressure. We know that the hemisphere does not accelerate off in some direction. So, the force of the pressure on the curved surface of the hemisphere must be equal and opposite to the force of the pressure on the flat surface of the hemisphere.

Likes Buffu
TSny said:
The forces on different patches of area point in different directions.

It is possible to show that the answer can be obtained by multiplying the pressure by the area of a circle of radius equal to the radius of the hemisphere. Consider a solid, uncharged hemisphere acted on all sides by a uniform atmospheric pressure. We know that the hemisphere does not accelerate off in some direction. So, the force of the pressure on the curved surface of the hemisphere must be equal and opposite to the force of the pressure on the flat surface of the hemisphere.

I got ##dF = 2\pi \sigma^2 \cos \theta dA##

Changing to spherical coordinate,

##\displaystyle F = 2\pi\sigma^2R^2 \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\cos \theta \sin \theta d\theta d\phi = {Q^2 \over 8R^2}##

But I want to do this without change to spherical coordinates, how can I do that ?

My issue is I am not able to express ##dA## into something useful.

Buffu said:
I got ##dF = 2\pi \sigma^2 \cos \theta dA##
OK

Changing to spherical coordinate,

##\displaystyle F = 2\pi\sigma^2R^2 \int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\cos \theta \sin \theta d\theta d\phi = {Q^2 \over 8R^2}##
OK

But I want to do this without change to spherical coordinates, how can I do that ?

My issue is I am not able to express ##dA## into something useful.
Spherical coordinates are the natural coordinates for doing the integration. However, you can avoid having to do any integration by giving a geometrical interpretation to ##dA\cos \theta##. The figure below shows how to interpret this as a projection of a patch of area of the sphere onto a horizontal surface. So, summing all the ##dA\cos \theta## for the hemisphere is the same as summing all the horizontally projected areas. The sum of the projected areas is seen by inspection without having to perform an integration.
upload_2017-5-3_10-55-2.png

Likes Buffu
TSny said:
OK

OK

Spherical coordinates are the natural coordinates for doing the integration. However, you can avoid having to do any integration by giving a geometrical interpretation to ##dA\cos \theta##. The figure below shows how to interpret this as a projection of a patch of area of the sphere onto a horizontal surface. So, summing all the ##dA\cos \theta## for the hemisphere is the same as summing all the horizontally projected areas. The sum of the projected areas is seen by inspection without having to perform an integration.
View attachment 198140

Yes Thank you for the answer and the diagram really explains the thing.

The limits for the integration would be ##0 \to \pi/2## right ?

Buffu said:
The limits for the integration would be ##0 \to \pi/2## right ?
Yes, that would be the limits for ##\theta##.

1. How is charge on a soap bubble created?

The charge on a soap bubble is created through the process of friction. As the soap bubble moves through the air, it rubs against particles in the air, which transfer electrons to the bubble and create a charge.

2. Can the charge on a soap bubble be positive or negative?

Yes, the charge on a soap bubble can be both positive and negative. It depends on the type of particles that the bubble comes in contact with and the direction of the friction.

3. Why do soap bubbles have a charge?

Soap bubbles have a charge because they are made up of soap molecules, which have a polar structure. This allows them to attract and hold onto charged particles, creating a charge on the bubble.

4. How does the charge on a soap bubble affect its behavior?

The charge on a soap bubble affects its behavior by creating an electrostatic force. This force can cause the bubble to repel or attract other charged objects, making the bubble move or change shape.

5. Can the charge on a soap bubble be controlled?

Yes, the charge on a soap bubble can be controlled by adjusting the type and concentration of soap used to create the bubble, as well as the surrounding environment and any external electric fields present.