Three equal charges held by equal length strings

In summary, the tension in each string is the sum of the tensions plus the sum of the electrostatic forces.
mr_sparxx

Homework Statement

Three particles with the same charge q are hold together by three strings of the same length l forming an equilateral triangle. The tension in each string is:

a) ## \frac {K q^2 cos 60º}{l^2}##
b)## \frac {K q^2 cos 30º}{l^2}##
c)## \frac {K q^2 sin 60º}{l^2}## or
d)## \frac {K q^2 sin 30º}{l^2}##

It is a multiple choice question.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law for electrostatic force: ## F = \frac {K q_1 q_2}{d_{12}^2} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, numbering the charges from 1 to 3, we get that the total force acting on the third charge is the sum of the tensions plus the sum of the elecrostatic forces:

$$ \vec F = \vec T_{13} + \vec T_{23} + \vec F_{13} + \vec F_{23} = 0 $$

Furthermore, the symmetry of the problem implies that:
$$ T_{13} = T_{23} = T_{12} $$
$$ F_{13} = F_{23} = F_{12} $$

So, in the two directions where forces lie
$$ \vec T_{13} = - \vec F_{13} $$
$$ \vec T_{23} = - \vec F_{23} $$

And, therefore
$$ T_{13} = F_{13} = \frac {K q^2}{l^2} $$

The tension in the other strings is exactly the same.

I am unable to see my mistake, simple as it may be...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1 has me a little confused, there are three strings and 4 components are given but not associated with a particular string.

What exactly is the question? Parts 2 and 3 look correct.

Likes mr_sparxx
Thanks for your answer.

I am sorry, I should have said it is a multiple choice question: a, b, c, or d are the answer options. I'll update the post.

Could it be possible that the question is wrongly formulated or the answers wrong? This is the exact text of the question...

mr_sparxx said:
Thanks for your answer.

I am sorry, I should have said it is a multiple choice question: a, b, c, or d are the answer options. I'll update the post.

Could it be possible that the question is wrongly formulated or the answers wrong? This is the exact text of the question...

I think you are headed in the right direction. Please state the exact question you are to answer :woot:

The exact question is the one stated in part 1. I have to write a, b, c or d in the answer sheet and my result I am getting is different to all four choices: that's why I am so confused.

mr_sparxx said:
The exact question is the one stated in part 1. I have to write a, b, c or d in the answer sheet and my result I am getting is different to all four choices: that's why I am so confused.

Sorry, I am confused as well, it looks to me like you have the correct answer in part 3 above. I did the problem the same way you did.

Likes mr_sparxx
Maybe it is like this with the three strings attached at a common point,

media%2F32b%2F32b77682-c453-495b-9071-0a55d8c41a09%2FphpsLDJwy.png

I think we both read it the wrong way? If like above you can figure it out. I thought the strings formed the sides of an equilateral triangle and my mind was locked into that as the only possibility. A Google image search allowed me to see the other possibility.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ten...bAhUFk1kKHZ0FDt44ChD8BQgLKAI&biw=1164&bih=537

Attachments

• media%2F32b%2F32b77682-c453-495b-9071-0a55d8c41a09%2FphpsLDJwy.png
    media%2F32b%2F32b77682-c453-495b-9071-0a55d8c41a09%2FphpsLDJwy.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 305
Likes mr_sparxx and TSny
Spinnor said:
Maybe it is like this with the three strings attached at a common point,
Good thought. But it doesn't appear that this interpretation would give one of the choices either (unless I'm messing up somewhere).

Edit: Note that answers (a) and (d) are the same. Also, (b) and (c) are the same. @mr_sparxx please check that you have written the choices correctly.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
Thank you for your answers and thoughts. I posted it here because I thought it was the most relevant place but, in fact, this problem comes from a past access exam paper one of my students brought to me. I was unable to give him an answer. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of it to be sure .

@Spinnor I am quite sure there was a diagram... but that turn you proposed was quite inspiring. However I think there is a ##\sqrt 2## factor discrepancy with the b/c choices.

Edit: Note that answers (a) and (d) are the same. Also, (b) and (c) are the same.
@TSny I didn't notice!

Anyway, I was not confident enough to think the question was wrong (it is a quite prestigeous university access exam), but I am beginning to think this is the case.

If the picture in @Spinnor 's post #7 is correct, then I believe any of the answers (a) through (d) would be correct if the trig function factor is replaced by ##\tan 30^0##.

Likes mr_sparxx
Actually what was wrong was my handwritten copy of the answer choices! :H I am so embarrased! :eek::sorry:
Choices were:
a) ##\frac {K q^2 sin 60º}{l^2}##
b)##\frac {K q^2 cos 60º}{l^2}##
c)##\frac {2 K q^2 sin 30º}{l^2}##
d)##\frac {2 K q^2 cos 30º}{l^2}##
And it is obviously c)...
Sorry for wasting your time!

Edit: in the end strings were the sides of the triangle, each holding two charges together...

OK. No problem. Glad it got cleared up.

1. What is the concept behind three equal charges held by equal length strings?

The concept behind three equal charges held by equal length strings is that three identical charges are suspended from a single point by three equal length strings. This arrangement allows for the study of electrostatic forces and their effects on the charges.

2. How are the charges distributed in this setup?

In this setup, the three charges are typically placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle, with the strings attached at the center of the triangle. This ensures that the forces between the charges are evenly distributed.

3. What is the purpose of using equal length strings?

Using equal length strings ensures that the three charges are equidistant from the center of the triangle, which helps to maintain symmetry in the system. This allows for more accurate measurements and observations of the electrostatic forces between the charges.

4. How do the electrostatic forces between the charges change when the strings are moved?

When the strings are moved, the distances between the charges also change, which in turn affects the strength of the electrostatic forces between them. This can be observed and measured using various techniques, such as varying the length of the strings or changing the angle between them.

5. What are some potential applications of this setup in scientific research?

This setup can be used to study various aspects of electrostatic forces, such as their strength and direction, as well as their effects on the charges. It can also be used to investigate how different variables, such as distance and charge magnitude, affect the forces between the charges. This information can be applied in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.