In summary: Can you point us to an example of this published value?I agree. Your data can be the only source of the inconsistency.
Matthew Clisby

Homework Statement

Basically having a problem when trying to theoretically calculate the mass of alpha particle in a charged field.

r is the unknown radius of curvature
m = mass of an alpha particle (6.646 *10^-27 kg)
v = velocity of an alpha particle immediatly after decay (1.381 *10^7 m/s)
q = charge of an alpha particle (3.2 *10^-19 C)
B = magnetic field strength (0.005 Tesla)

Homework Equations

r=mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Answer should be around 1cm but instead value is around 79cm. What's going wrong, am I forgetting something obvious. 1cm is published everywhere and was similar to my experimental results.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is r? Circular orbit? State more accuratelly all data and unknown ...

+ check the equation and in the proper unit system ...

Stavros Kiri said:
+ check the equation and in the proper unit system ...
Stavros Kiri said:
What is r? Circular orbit? State more accuratelly all data and unknown ...
Thanks Stavros I've updated it would and it checks out fully with the SI unit of equations, is there any value I've used that seems blindingly wrong to you?

Matthew Clisby said:
Thanks Stavros I've updated it would and it checks out fully with the SI unit of equations, is there any value I've used that seems blindingly wrong to you?
Seems ok now. Values also seem ok and the equation is correct (comes from Lorentz force and circular motion). Did you convert cm to m properly (for SI units - not CGS)? Perhaps 79cm is 0.79 or something ... (I didn't do the calculation). You check it first, all units converted properly in SI ...

Stavros Kiri said:
Seems ok now. Values also seem ok and the equation is correct (comes from Lorentz force and circular motion). Did you convert cm to m properly (for SI units - not CGS)? Perhaps 79cm is 0.79 or something ... (I didn't do the calculation). You check it first, all units converted properly in SI ...
Yeah, annoying thing is that I've done exactly that but the answer just comes out wrong..., even then 79cm is quite a way off of 1cm

What is the source of your data for the velocity of the alpha particle and the strength of the magnetic field? Those two would appear to be the only things in your scenario that are not intrinsic properties of the particle.

gneill said:
What is the source of your data for the velocity of the alpha particle and the strength of the magnetic field? Those two would appear to be the only things in your scenario that are not intrinsic properties of the particle.

The field is just an exemplar of a lowly induced field and the velocity calculation is considerably more complex: (see picture)

This value is also similar to one found on Wikipedia (I know the source is awful I couldn't find it anywhere else)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 21.49.41.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 21.49.41.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 518
The depicted velocity calculation is a bit overly detailed for the present purpose, but gives a value that seems reasonable to me. It essentially apportions the energy released according to the masses of the daughter particles (radium nucleus and alpha particle). That just leaves the magnetic field to wonder about.

For the velocity attributed to the alpha particle, what magnetic field strength would result in a trajectory radius of about 1 cm? It would have to be much larger than 0.005 T.

Matthew Clisby said:
1cm is published everywhere and was similar to my experimental results.
Can you point us to an example of this published value?

I agree. Your data can be the only source of the inconsistency.

1. What is a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field is a particle that has an electric charge and is subject to the influence of a magnetic field. The magnetic field causes the particle to experience a force, which can affect its motion.

2. How is the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field calculated?

The force on a charged particle in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector.

3. What is the direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the particle will experience a centripetal force and will move in a circular path.

4. How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The mass of a charged particle does not affect its motion in a magnetic field. The force experienced by the particle is dependent on its charge, velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field, but not its mass. Therefore, all charged particles with the same charge and velocity will experience the same force in a given magnetic field.

5. What is the role of the magnetic field strength in the motion of a charged particle?

The strength of the magnetic field plays a crucial role in the motion of a charged particle. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger force on the particle, causing it to move in a tighter circular path. Additionally, a stronger magnetic field can also affect the speed of the particle, as it can cause the particle to accelerate or decelerate depending on its charge and direction of motion.