Cheap liquid that will harden?

• Thread starter Bassna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary, the speaker is looking for a cheap material to fill hollow plastic models printed by a 3D printer to give them weight. They have considered options such as cement, liquid latex, caulk, and BB's mixed with glue. The end result desired is heavier models that can be moved and handled without shaking or making noise. The suggestion is to use BB's mixed with glue, which will stick together and dry inside the models to provide weight.
Bassna
I'm looking for a cheap material that I can fill plastic hollow model's with, that will harden up, to give the model a good weight. The model's are being made by a 3D Printer, and if made hollow, they don't weight a whole lot. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cement? Liquid latex? Caulking compound? Etc...?

Thank's, any recommendation on the best for this purpose?

That would depend to a large extent upon what you intend to do with the model. If it's going to sit on a shelf for display, I'd just fill it with sand since there'd be no need for something solid inside. Other than that, the purpose would determine what sort of weight you want. The choice of material should be based upon specific gravity rather than general physical properties. Cement will do the same job as silicone, but it will be a lot heavier. There's also a whole field of binary materials such as automotive body filler, acrylic "paperweight" liquid, Jell-O (think Gummy Worm concentrations), JB Weld, etc..
What do you want the end result to be?

Basically just have heavier model's, a lot of the time they will just be sitting up on a shelf, but I do move them around and people like to pick them up and look around at it. Sand would be a OK option maybe if completely filled with it, as to not have a "shaking" sound inside the model. I was thinking maybe even some BB's mixed in with elmer's glue, I'm just not sure how well I will be able to squeeze the glue into the models. Cement would probably be ideal for what I'm after, but maybe a bit too messy/much to work with than what I was looking for, I'm not sure though. By the way, thanks for the reply's

Actually, your BB idea is a good one, and not at all hard to implement. There's no need to "squeeze the glue into the models". Just roll the BB's in a puddle of glue and toss them in. They'll stick to each other inside and the glue will dry.

1. What is the cheapest liquid that can harden?

The cheapest liquid that can harden is water. It is readily available and can be found in almost every household.

2. How does the hardening process work for liquids?

The hardening process for liquids involves a chemical reaction, where the molecules of the liquid form strong bonds with each other, making the substance solid. This can happen through various processes such as evaporation, cooling, or mixing with other substances.

3. Can any liquid be hardened?

No, not all liquids can be hardened. Liquids such as oil and alcohol do not have the necessary properties to form solid bonds and therefore cannot be hardened through the same process as water. However, they can be solidified through other means such as freezing or mixing with other substances.

4. Are there any safe and non-toxic liquids that can harden?

Yes, there are several safe and non-toxic liquids that can harden. Some examples include glue, vinegar, and corn syrup. These substances are commonly used in DIY projects and are safe for children to handle under adult supervision.

5. Can liquids be hardened instantly?

No, the hardening process for liquids usually takes some time. Depending on the type of liquid and the method used, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the substance to fully harden. Instant hardening is not possible with most liquids.