Checking the convergence of this numerical series using the ratio test

In summary: I'm not sure if it's right, I'm sorry, I'm still learning.Are you sure? Remember that ##(n+1)! = (n+1)\cdot n!##Are you sure? Remember that ##(n+1)! = (n+1)\cdot n!##In summary, we discussed the ratio test and used it to simplify the expression ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {(2n+2)!}{(n+1)(n+1)2n(n-1)!}##. We applied the fundamental property of factorials and were able to further simplify the expression to ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
using ratio test verify if converges
Relevant Equations
convergence tests
## \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {(2n)!}{(n!)^2} ##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {a_{n+1}} {a_n}}##

that becomes

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac { \frac {(2(n+1))!}{((n+1)!)^2}} { \frac {(2n)!}{(n!)^2}}}##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {(2(n+1))!(n!)^2}{((n+1)!)^2(2n)!}##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {(2n+2))!(n!)(n!)}{(n+1)!(n+1)!(2n)!}##

then i don't know what else i can do

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what does the ratio test say?

Likes member 587159
Gaussian97 said:
First of all, what does the ratio test say?
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {a_{n+1}} {a_n}}##

that becomes

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac { \frac {(2(n+1))!}{((n+1)!)^2}} { \frac {(2n)!}{(n!)^2}}}##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {(2(n+1))!(n!)^2}{((n+1)!)^2(2n)!}##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {(2n+2))!(n!)(n!)}{(n+1)n!(n+1)n!(2n)!}##

Last edited:
Actually the ratio test uses the absolute values, in this case, all terms are positive so doesn't matter but is important to know exactly do the theorems say.

Ok, now using the properties of factorials, do you see any way to simplify this expression?

Gaussian97 said:
Ok, now using the properties of factorials, do you see any way to simplify this expression?
that is the point, I've already applied all the factorial properties that are in my knowledge. if there are others could you please tell me them? I would really appreciate it :) .
i have always problems with factorials.
thanks

Well, actually you only need the most fundamental property:
$$n! = n \cdot (n-1)!$$

Gaussian97 said:
Well, actually you only need the most fundamental property:
$$n! = n \cdot (n-1)!$$
like this?
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {(2n+2)!}{(n+1)(n+1)2n(n-1)!}##

Well, a little bit better. Be careful because ##(2n)!\neq 2n\cdot(n-1)!##, and you can still use this property to further simplify you answer (you can actually get rid of all the factorial terms using this property)

Gaussian97 said:
Well, a little bit better. Be careful because ##(2n)!\neq 2n\cdot(n-1)!##, and you can still use this property to further simplify you answer (you can actually get rid of all the factorial terms using this property)
##2n(2n-2)! ?##

DottZakapa said:
##2n(2n-2)! ?##
No, use better the property in the form $$x! = x\cdot(x-1)!,$$ if you substitute ##x=2n## what do you obtain?

• Informative
Likes DottZakapa
Gaussian97 said:
No, use better the property in the form $$x! = x\cdot(x-1)!,$$ if you substitute ##x=2n## what do you obtain?
Very good! you've been super good, did not consider it.
thanks a lot.
Now it simplified as it should

What is the ratio test for checking the convergence of a numerical series?

The ratio test is a mathematical method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a numerical series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series and using this limit to determine the behavior of the series.

How do you apply the ratio test to a numerical series?

To apply the ratio test, you must first find the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series is absolutely convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

What is the purpose of using the ratio test to check the convergence of a numerical series?

The purpose of using the ratio test is to determine the behavior of a numerical series. This information is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions about the series.

Can the ratio test be used for all numerical series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series that satisfy certain conditions, such as having positive terms and approaching 0 as n approaches infinity. Other tests, such as the root test or the comparison test, may be more suitable for series that do not meet these conditions.

What should I do if the ratio test is inconclusive?

If the ratio test results in a limit of 1, it is inconclusive and another method must be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series. This could include using other convergence tests or finding the sum of the series using other techniques.