Chemical engineering with a phyisics dgree?

In summary, a bachelor's degree in physics with a minor in chemistry may not be enough to secure a job as a chemical engineer. Chemical engineering courses cover specialized topics and applications that are crucial for the profession, which may not be covered in the curriculum for physics and chemistry degrees. While the foundations of chemical engineering may be rooted in physics and chemistry, there is an added level of abstraction and practical application that is necessary for success in the field.
JFrankParnell
Chemical engineering with a physics degree?

I'm currently in college and have decided to major in physics with a minor in chemistry. Can this type of bachelor's degree get me a job as a chemical engineer? Before anyone asks, I don't want to get a degree in chemical engineering because I might want to pursue graduate-level physics someday (specifically theoretical or nuclear physics) so I'd like to keep my options open in that regard.

TIA for any information anyone can give me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it would be highly unlikely that you can get a job as a chemical engineer.

You'll have to understand that engineering curriculums cover foundations of what practicing the profession involves, and in the case of chemical engineering, there are special courses that are very different than how they are treated in chemistry and physics.

For instance, ChemE would cover reactor designs, transport phenomena (mass, heat, momentum transport), thermodynamics of open systems, etc.

In chemistry thermodynamics and thermal physics courses, you do cover more fundamental topics, but you will not spend much on open systems. Furthermore, in my experience, thermal physics and chemistry thermodynamics is very different than engineering thermodynamics; in the sciences, a lot of it at the undergraduate level, will cover a lot of proofs of the physical laws, and less rigorous emphasis on application problems, which is what's important when practicing chemical engineering.

In short, chemical engineering: (engineering) thermodynamics, reactor design, transport phenomena, software used in industry. Although they may have been founded in physics and chemistry, an additional layer of abstraction is added to prepare for a practicing chemical engineer profession.

Related to Chemical engineering with a phyisics dgree?

1. What is the difference between chemical engineering and physics?

Chemical engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the design and operation of chemical processes, while physics is the branch of science that studies matter and energy. Chemical engineering often involves the application of physics principles to solve problems related to chemical processes.

2. Can I pursue a career in both chemical engineering and physics with a degree in both?

Yes, with a degree in chemical engineering and physics, you can pursue a career in both fields. Some job opportunities that combine both disciplines include research and development in areas such as energy, materials, and environmental engineering.

3. Is a degree in physics necessary for a career in chemical engineering?

No, a degree in physics is not necessary for a career in chemical engineering. However, having a strong foundation in physics can be beneficial for understanding the fundamental principles that govern chemical processes.

4. What skills do I need for a career in chemical engineering with a physics degree?

Some essential skills for a career in chemical engineering with a physics degree include problem-solving, critical thinking, strong mathematical and analytical skills, and the ability to work with complex systems and data.

5. What are some potential job opportunities for someone with a degree in chemical engineering and physics?

Some potential job opportunities for someone with a degree in chemical engineering and physics include process engineer, materials scientist, environmental engineer, research scientist, and data analyst. Other industries that often hire individuals with this combination of degrees include pharmaceuticals, energy, and biotechnology.