Chemistry, Biology, or Physics?

In summary, you are contemplating a lot of options for your future, but you don't know if you should focus on math and science or another subject. You should choose whichever subjects you enjoy the most and can handle the most.
Flare12
Hi everyone! In just about a month, I will be starting my IB courses in junior year high school. I have chosen Math SL, along with Economics Hl, Biology HL and Chemistry HL. However in the past few days I suddenly realized how I also really like physics (especially quantum mechanics and natural physics). I really don't know what to do because now I really can't see my future. If I take Physics HL, I would have to probably also do Math HL and from there make out my future based on physics and maths and probably engineering. This would mean I would need to work heavily especially in math, as I am not heavily involved in math but I appreciate it a lot and I like physics which is correlated in a possible. However I don't know if I should just do Chemistry and Biology instead in HL because I am also fascinated by molecular biology and biochemsitry. Which sciences and maths should I chose and why? Please can I have some help? Last question, whenever I can't understand or grasp a question or concept any subject, I always get stressed and just give up what can I do? (Going to a university in Europe - So I need to choose a field)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see if I've got this straight --- you will be starting your junior year in high school, are contemplating a "load," and don't even know what you want do?
Flare12 said:
Last question, whenever I can't understand or grasp a question or concept any subject, I always get stressed and just give up what can I do?
"IB" means much less once you've fumbled it.

Bystander said:
Let's see if I've got this straight --- you will be starting your junior year in high school, are contemplating a "load," and don't even know what you want do?
Bystander said:
I enjoy the subjects but I really don't know which combination. Hopefully if I find the right ones the load won't be as much in terms that I will enjoy it.

As MUCH Mathematics as you possibly can do, for ALL YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL. Do whatever other science course you can do, but the Mathematics will be the most important. You can figure out which way to go while in college. Physics and Mathematics are neat. Biology is messy but some people like it or can deal with them better. Chemistry is still a little messy and is clearer in its use of Mathematics (clearer than for Biology). If after a few semesters of science course, you feel you like to bite into things using algebra and equations, then your choices will more likely be the physical sciences.

Likes bhobba and Delong
symbolipoint said:
As MUCH Mathematics as you possibly can do, for ALL YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL. Do whatever other science course you can do, but the Mathematics will be the most important. You can figure out which way to go while in college. Physics and Mathematics are neat. Biology is messy but some people like it or can deal with them better. Chemistry is still a little messy and is clearer in its use of Mathematics (clearer than for Biology). If after a few semesters of science course, you feel you like to bite into things using algebra and equations, then your choices will more likely be the physical sciences.
Thanks for the advice, but I am going to a university which means I will need to choose a subject to study and focus on it. The IB HL Sciences and Math are crucial for that .

Flare12 said:
Thanks for the advice, but I am going to a university which means I will need to choose a subject to study and focus on it. The IB HL Sciences and Math are crucial for that .
Choose your major field to begin the university, but change choice of major field as you go, as you find out more about yourself and career possibilities.

Likes bhobba
Flare12 said:
However in the past few days I suddenly realized how I also really like physics (especially quantum mechanics and natural physics).

You're basing this off what exactly? I can basically assure you that you know nothing about quantum mechanics, and I don't even know what natural physics is. Physics, be definition, is all "natural."
I really don't know what to do because now I really can't see my future. If I take Physics HL, I would have to probably also do Math HL and from there make out my future based on physics and maths and probably engineering. This would mean I would need to work heavily especially in math, as I am not heavily involved in math but I appreciate it a lot and I like physics which is correlated in a possible. However I don't know if I should just do Chemistry and Biology instead in HL because I am also fascinated by molecular biology and biochemsitry. Which sciences and maths should I chose and why? Please can I have some help?

If you want to do anything in the sciences, be it physics, biology, chemistry, or one of the applied fields like engineering, you're going to need a certain level of mathematical sophistication. So I don't see how mathematics could not be a choice, regardless of the other choice. As far as the other choice, why will you not be able to at least do two out of three choices?
Last question, whenever I can't understand or grasp a question or concept any subject, I always get stressed and just give up what can I do? (Going to a university in Europe - So I need to choose a field)

Short answer, stop doing that.

Long answer, anything worth learning shouldn't come naturally or trivially. So those things you just give up on are the probably the most important concepts from the class. If you continue to give up, without exerting any real effort, then you aren't going to make it very far in the sciences. You should also make use of things like tutoring, office hours, etc. but don't let these become crutches that provide you spoon fed answers.

As a Physics teacher what I found about Physics HL is that the level is quite high and you need to know your Maths well. If you give up easily when faced with a problem then Maths is going to be tough for you. Or maybe you are underestimating your self. At times we do get frustrated if we are not able to crack a question.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the difference between chemistry, biology, and physics?

Chemistry is the study of matter and its properties, composition, and interactions. Biology is the study of living organisms and their functions, structures, and evolution. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the fundamental laws that govern the physical world.

2. How are these sciences related?

Chemistry and biology are closely related as chemistry helps to explain the chemical reactions and processes that occur within living organisms. Physics is also related to both chemistry and biology as it provides the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy, which are essential for understanding chemical and biological processes.

3. What is the scientific method and how is it used in these sciences?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific research and experiments. It involves making observations, asking questions, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. The scientific method is used in all three sciences to test theories and to gather evidence to support or refute hypotheses.

4. What are some real-world applications of chemistry, biology, and physics?

Chemistry has many real-world applications, such as developing new medicines, creating new materials, and producing energy. Biology is used in many fields, including medicine, agriculture, and environmental conservation. Physics has numerous applications in technology, such as developing new electronics, designing buildings and bridges, and understanding the behavior of the universe.

5. How do these sciences contribute to our understanding of the world?

Chemistry, biology, and physics are essential for understanding the world around us. They help us understand the properties and behavior of matter, living organisms, and energy. These sciences also contribute to solving real-world problems and developing new technologies that improve our lives and the world we live in.