Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction

In summary, the conversation discussed the formation of a product through Friedel-Crafts alkylation and the key mechanistic steps involved. The resulting product would be tert-Butylbenzene, with a neopentyl carbocation intermediate formed through a methyl shift. The reasoning behind this reaction was also discussed.
themonk

Homework Statement

(a) Draw the product that would be formed.
(b) Provide a brief explanation for this and provide a couple of sentences and key mechanistic step(s) to illustrate your reasoning

24zliye.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my reasoning and what I believe the reaction would turn out to be if Benzene was reacted with C5H11Cl:

Alkyl halides, among other molecules such as alkenes and alcohols would not form according to Friedel-Crafts' reaction because there are more stable molecules or carbocations. C5H11Cl would change to tert-Butylbenzene (below) because the intermediate of the product would create a 3° structure first from the non-Cl side.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tert-Butylbenzene.svg"

Does this seem reasonable? I know that the 3° is the most stable of the carbocations, but I do not know if this is correct reasoning for the reaction. Does the Cl perhaps remain attached also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I re-looked at it, and noticed that there would be a carbon missing if the answer was what I put.

I would change my answer so that the middle Carbon furthest from benzene would have another carbon.

Does this seem more reasonable?

You're on the right track. Friedel-Crafts alkylation involves a carbocation intermediate. As with all carbocations, this intermediate will rearrange itself.

This wouldn't form a t-butyl carbocation, by the way, it would form a neopentyl carbocation. One way that this group can rearrange is through a methyl shift, which would put the positive charge on a tertiary center.

What is a Friedel-Crafts reaction?

A Friedel-Crafts reaction is a type of organic chemical reaction used to add functional groups to an aromatic compound. It involves the reaction of an aromatic compound with an alkyl or acyl halide in the presence of a Lewis acid catalyst.

What sets "Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction" apart from other chemical reactions?

"Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction" refers to any chemical reaction that does not follow the same mechanism as a Friedel-Crafts reaction. It may involve different reactants, catalysts, or mechanisms.

What are some examples of reactions that are not Friedel-Crafts reactions?

Some examples include the Grignard reaction, Diels-Alder reaction, and the Wittig reaction. These reactions involve different mechanisms and reactants than a Friedel-Crafts reaction.

What are the potential applications of "Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction"?

There are many potential applications of "Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction," as it encompasses a wide range of chemical reactions. It can be used to synthesize new compounds, modify existing compounds, and create functionalized molecules for various purposes.

How does understanding "Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction" benefit scientists?

Understanding "Chemistry: Not a Friedel-Crafts Reaction" allows scientists to have a broader understanding of organic chemistry and the various reactions that can occur. This knowledge can aid in the development of new chemical reactions and the synthesis of new compounds with specific properties and functions.