Chemistry or physics: what to study for biophysics or neuroscience?

In summary, the person is trying to decide between a degree in physics or chemistry for their undergraduate studies. They are interested in pursuing a master's degree in biophysics or neuroscience and are unsure whether to choose a degree in chemistry, which may be more suitable for their future interests, or in physics, which may provide a more complete understanding of biophysics. They are seeking advice on factors such as their strengths in math and science, the curriculum of universities they are considering, the amount of time available for studies, and research opportunities. Ultimately, the decision will depend on these factors and the individual's personal preferences.
fdo
I am interested in both physics and chemistry and I am going to choose my undergraduate studies in the next two days. A bachelor's degree in my country lasts three years and there is no major/minor option (one can study physics OR chemistry). I would love to get a master's deegre in biophysics or in neuroscience but apparently, here in Europe, you can get to these fields studying physics as well as chemistry.
Considering the masters' curricula I have read so far, molecular biophysics concerns mainly quantum and physical chemistry (as in http://w3.dbb.su.se/~barth/masterBP/MasterBPcourses.html , for instance).
Chemistry seems a closer and faster approach to neuroscience (neurochemistry, neurobiology).

Should I consider a degree in chemistry (focused on physical chemistry) or in physics?
I fear I could lose too much mathematics and physics by choosing chemistry, hence I will not be able to be a "complete" biophysicist. On the other hand chemistry seems more suitable for my future interests.

Can anyone help me to figure it out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to give a definitive answer to your question, as it will depend on a variety of factors. However, here are some things to consider when making your decision: 1. What are your current strengths in math and science? If you feel that you are more proficient in mathematics and physics than in chemistry, then you may want to consider a degree in physics. 2. What is the curriculum like at the universities you are considering? Are there courses offered in biophysics or neurochemistry that would be beneficial to you regardless of whether you choose a chemistry or physics degree? 3. How much time do you have available for your studies? A degree in chemistry may require more time and effort than a degree in physics, depending on the curriculum. 4. What kind of research opportunities are available at your university? Are there any specific research projects that you could pursue with either a degree in chemistry or physics? Ultimately, the decision is yours and you should consider all of these factors when making your choice. Good luck!

Related to Chemistry or physics: what to study for biophysics or neuroscience?

1. What is the difference between chemistry and physics?

Chemistry is the study of matter and its properties, composition, and interactions. It focuses on the structure of atoms and molecules, and how they combine and react to form new substances. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of energy, forces, and motion. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. Which subject is more relevant for biophysics?

Both chemistry and physics have important applications in biophysics. However, since biophysics is the study of the physical principles underlying biological phenomena, physics may be more relevant in this case. Biophysics involves understanding how biological systems, such as cells and tissues, behave and interact at a molecular level. This requires a solid understanding of the principles of physics such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics.

3. Is a background in chemistry or physics more beneficial for studying neuroscience?

Both chemistry and physics play a crucial role in neuroscience. However, since neuroscience involves the study of the nervous system and how it functions, a background in chemistry may be more beneficial. This is because chemistry provides a deeper understanding of the chemical processes that occur in the brain, such as neurotransmission and signal transduction. However, a strong foundation in physics can also be helpful in understanding the electrical and mechanical aspects of the nervous system.

4. Can I study both chemistry and physics for biophysics or neuroscience?

Yes, it is possible to study both chemistry and physics for biophysics or neuroscience. In fact, having a strong background in both subjects can provide a well-rounded understanding of the underlying principles in these fields. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that combine chemistry, physics, and biology to provide a comprehensive education in biophysics or neuroscience.

5. Which subject is more challenging: chemistry or physics?

This is subjective and can vary from person to person. Both chemistry and physics have their own challenges and require a strong foundation in mathematics. Chemistry may be more challenging for some due to the need to visualize and understand the behavior of atoms and molecules. Physics may be more challenging for others due to the abstract concepts and mathematical calculations involved. Ultimately, the difficulty of a subject depends on the individual's strengths and interests.