Chmod- changing UNIX file permissions

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Unix
In summary, to change access to a folder to 755 using WS-FTP Pro, click to select the file and go to File menu, then select Operations, FTP Commands, and CHMOD. Alternatively, you can also use cpanel or telnet to change the access.
Tom McCurdy
SOMEONE please tell me how to change my access to a folder to 755. I have WS-FTP Pro and I thought all you had to do was right click and select ftp commands however this is not an option for me

Computer science news on Phys.org
Click to select the file. Go to the File menu, select Operations, select FTP Commands, select CHMOD, and hit the buttons you want.

- Warren

I will try it that way sometime. I figured out how to do it in cpanel so it is very easy for me to to do it this way.

the easiest way is just to telnet to the server, login in with your username and pword and change them with the chmod command.

1. What is "Chmod" and why is it used?

Chmod, short for "change mode", is a command used in UNIX and UNIX-based operating systems to change the permissions of a file or directory. It is used to control who can read, write, or execute a file or directory.

2. How do I use Chmod to change file permissions?

To use Chmod, you will need to specify the file or directory you want to change permissions for, along with the desired permission settings. You can use either symbolic or octal notation to specify permissions. For example, "chmod u=rwx file.txt" will give the owner of the file read, write, and execute permissions.

3. What do the different permission settings mean?

The permission settings in Chmod are represented by three groups: user, group, and others. The letters "r", "w", and "x" stand for read, write, and execute, respectively. A "-" indicates no permission for that setting. For example, "rwxr--r--" means the owner has read, write, and execute permissions, while the group and others only have read permissions.

4. How can I recursively change permissions for all files and subdirectories?

You can use the "-R" option with Chmod to recursively change permissions for all files and subdirectories within a directory. This is useful when you want to change permissions for multiple files at once.

5. Is it possible to revert back to default permissions using Chmod?

Yes, it is possible to revert back to default permissions using Chmod. You can use the "chmod 755 file.txt" command to set the default permissions for the file, which gives the owner read, write, and execute permissions, and the group and others read and execute permissions.