Ubuntu 14.10 - Modifying .conf file

In summary, Stevie was unable to make Ubuntu connect to the Workgroup as instructed by the tutorial linked. He was able to get the service up and running though.
StevieTNZ
Hi there

I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (14.10) onto an old desktop, and am trying to make it connect to the Workgroup all other computers in the house are on.

I installed Samba as per the instructions here - http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-join-ubuntu-to-a-windows-workgroup/ - and found the file smb.conf in the directory /etc/samba. I opened the file in gedit, and modified the code. However when trying to save the file I get the message 'You do not have the permissions necessarily to save the file.'

I close the file without saving, right click on the file and see what permissions I can edit. However they're all 'locked' with a note at the bottom of the screen 'You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions.' How can I edit smb.conf, save it and get Linux to join the Workgroup?

NB: I'm logged in as the user I created during the installation of 14.10.

Any help much appreciated
Stevie

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can't you log in as a root?

Matterwave suggested running sudo gedit in the terminal, which did enable me to edit the file.

However the following appeared in the terminal, and when I tried to restart the service and file this is what I got:
stevie@LinuxServer:~$ sudo gedit
[sudo] password for stevie:

(gedit:3634): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:eek:rg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:3634): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:eek:rg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

stevie@LinuxServer:~$ sudo service samba restart
samba: unrecognized service
stevie@LinuxServer:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart
sudo: /etc/init.d/smbd: command not found

I also tried sudo /etc/init.d.smb restart, but got 'command not found' also.

Hello Stevie,

It seems like you are facing a common issue with modifying system files on Ubuntu. In order to make changes to the smb.conf file, you will need to have root access or be the owner of the file. To do this, you can use the "sudo" command before opening the file in gedit. This will give you temporary root access and allow you to make changes and save the file.

Another option is to change the ownership of the file to your user account. You can do this by using the "chown" command in the terminal. For example, if your username is "stevie", you can use the command "sudo chown stevie /etc/samba/smb.conf" to change the ownership of the file to your user account.

I would also recommend being cautious when making changes to system files, as they can have a significant impact on your system. It may be helpful to do some research on the specific changes you are making to the smb.conf file to ensure they are correct and will achieve your desired result.

I hope this helps and good luck with configuring your Ubuntu system to join the workgroup!

1. What is a ".conf" file in Ubuntu 14.10?

A .conf file, or configuration file, is a plain text file that contains settings and parameters for a specific program or application in Ubuntu 14.10. These files are used to customize the behavior and functionality of the program.

2. How can I locate and open a .conf file in Ubuntu 14.10?

You can use the terminal command locate or find to search for specific .conf files. Once you have located the file, you can open it using a text editor such as Nano or Vim.

3. Can I modify a .conf file in Ubuntu 14.10?

Yes, you can modify a .conf file in Ubuntu 14.10. However, it is important to be cautious when making changes as incorrect modifications can cause issues with the program. It's recommended to make a backup of the original file before making any changes.

4. What types of settings can I modify in a .conf file?

The settings that can be modified in a .conf file vary depending on the program it is associated with. Generally, these settings can include things like network configurations, display settings, and user preferences.

5. Do I need to restart the program for the changes in the .conf file to take effect?

In most cases, yes, you will need to restart the program for the changes in the .conf file to take effect. Some programs may have a command to reload the configuration without restarting, but it is recommended to restart the program to ensure the changes are applied correctly.