Choose from Unknown - A Chiral Compound

• Thread starter AGNuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chiral
In summary, the conversation discussed a chiral hydrocarbon, X, which was reduced to an achiral C8H14 through catalytic hydrogenation. Ozonolysis of X resulted in a chiral C8H12O4 dicarboxylic acid. The group discussed the chiral nature of the alternatives and concluded that the first one was achiral after hydrogenation, while the third and fourth remained chiral. However, they noted that chiral compounds can be tricky to identify and they were unsure in the past.
AGNuke
Gold Member
A C8H12 chiral hydrocarbon, X, is reduced by catalytic Hydrogenation to an achiral C8H14. Ozonolysis (Oxidative) of X gave a chiral C8H12O4 dicarboxylic acid. Choose X from the given.

C8H12.png

Attempt
I first determined the chirality of the given alternatives. That rules out the 2nd option, as it is clearly symmetric. Then I just removed the double bonds, as asked in the question to see if any achiral hydrocarbon is formed. First one, I think is achiral. But I am not sure about the 3rd and 4th.

How about my attempt and is it something that I am overlooking?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are on the right track, but I have been wrong about chiral compounds so many times in the past I no longer trust myself.

Yeah me too. It was in the test paper earlier, but I had to leave this simple looking question. What a shame.

I couldn't formulate it back then, that 1st one would be achiral after catalytic hydrogenation.

The 3rd and 4th remain chiral after hydrogenation but I'm sure you already knew that.

I was unable to think about them in exam.

1. What is a chiral compound and how is it different from a achiral compound?

A chiral compound is a molecule that has a non-superimposable mirror image. This means that the molecule cannot be rotated or flipped to match its mirror image. In contrast, an achiral compound is a molecule that has a superimposable mirror image.

2. What are the applications of chiral compounds?

Chiral compounds have a wide range of applications in different fields such as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials science. They are used in the production of drugs, pesticides, and other chemicals due to their ability to interact with specific receptors and enzymes in living organisms. They are also used in the development of new materials with unique properties.

3. How are chiral compounds synthesized?

Chiral compounds can be synthesized through various methods such as asymmetric synthesis, resolution of racemic mixtures, and biocatalysis. Asymmetric synthesis involves the use of chiral reagents or catalysts to selectively form one enantiomer over the other. Resolution of racemic mixtures separates the two enantiomers using physical or chemical methods. Biocatalysis involves using enzymes to catalyze the production of a specific enantiomer.

4. What are the potential risks associated with chiral compounds?

One of the potential risks associated with chiral compounds is their potential to cause adverse effects in living organisms due to their specific interactions with receptors and enzymes. This can lead to unexpected side effects in drugs or environmental hazards in pesticides. Additionally, the production of chiral compounds can also result in environmental pollution and the formation of unwanted by-products.

5. How are chiral compounds studied and characterized?

Chiral compounds are studied and characterized using various analytical techniques such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, and chiral chromatography. These techniques can determine the structure and properties of chiral compounds, including their stereochemistry and enantiomeric purity. Chiral compounds can also be studied through biological assays to determine their biological activity and potential uses.