Choosing an Axis of Rotation for Equilibrium Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the center of mass as the axis of rotation for torque analysis and the difficulty in solving for the unknown variable x in this scenario. The person asking the questions realizes that there are four unknowns in the equations and that knowing the mass (m) is not necessary to find x.
Taulant Sholla
Homework Statement
I can get the answer to this problem, but...
Relevant Equations
torque and force equilibrium
If I choose my axis of rotation for torque analysis to be the left-end of the plank, I can get the correct results.

If I instead choose the com point -- I run into a dead end. Is there a way of a priori knowing this would happen? Thank you.
Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Taulant Sholla said:
I run into a dead end
Can you show ?

Here's my work based on using the COM as my axis of rotation. It seems I can't solve for x this way?
sol.JPG

You introduce angles ##a## and ##b## and now have too many unknowns ? Is that what you mean ?

##\ ##

I can find angle a and angle b. Despite this it seems I still can't find x from equations 2, 3 and 4.

Ok, so you have three equations with three unknowns, so what is going wrong ?

##\ ##

I think there are 4 unknowns: Tr, Tl, m and x.

cj said:
I think there are 4 unknowns: Tr, Tl, m and x.
Do you need to know m to find x?

(Tr/m), (Tl/m), and x are the unknowns.

Ah, yes - I see. Thank you so much for your help!

Likes BvU

1. What is an axis of rotation in equilibrium analysis?

An axis of rotation in equilibrium analysis is an imaginary line around which a body or system is balanced. It is the point at which all forces acting on the body are equal and opposite, resulting in a state of static equilibrium.

2. How do I choose the best axis of rotation for equilibrium analysis?

The best axis of rotation for equilibrium analysis is one that simplifies the problem and makes it easier to calculate the forces acting on the body. It is usually chosen to be through a point where the forces are known or where they are applied.

3. Can I choose any point as the axis of rotation for equilibrium analysis?

No, the point chosen as the axis of rotation must be a fixed point in the body or system. It cannot be a point that is moving or rotating with the body.

4. How does the choice of axis of rotation affect the calculations in equilibrium analysis?

The choice of axis of rotation affects the direction and magnitude of the forces and moments that need to be calculated. Choosing the correct axis of rotation can simplify the calculations and make them more accurate.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for choosing an axis of rotation in equilibrium analysis?

Yes, there are a few rules and guidelines that can help in choosing the best axis of rotation. These include choosing a point where the forces are known or applied, aligning the axis with the direction of known forces, and choosing an axis that simplifies the problem and reduces the number of unknowns.