Chromebook vs windows vs Apple MacOS

In summary: The unix requirement has been somewhat addressed on Windows with the Windows Subsystem for Linux which is basically Ubuntu or other distro running in a windows sandbox.
yungman
TL;DR Summary
I want to compare the popularity of them
I am not asking about what is the difference between, I mainly interested in the popularity of them. I worked in the high tech industry, only one I saw people using was Windows, I only saw people in graphics design using Apple, never seen Chromebook.

The school of my grand daughter gives every student a chromebook. Is that a marketing ploy to give free chromebook to students?

I know the popularity of the OS mainly depends on the availability of software, computer is useless if not for the availability of software. For example, I do a lot of schematic capture, pcb layout, circuit simulations. Are they available for Apple MacOS or Chromebook?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ifb you type the exact words "Popularity of Chromebook vs windows vs Apple MacOS" into Google, you will get the answer "In Q1 2020, Apple and Google were neck-and-neck: Windows grabbed 87.5% market share, macOS took 5.8%, and Chrome OS captured 5.3%."

yungman said:
Summary:: I want to compare the popularity of them

The school of my grand daughter gives every student a chromebook. Is that a marketing ploy to give free chromebook to students?

I know the popularity of the OS mainly depends on the availability of software, computer is useless if not for the availability of software. For example, I do a lot of ...
Besides the affordability, corporations should like the inability to install most 3rd party software packages as a valuable property. It greatly reduces the cost of IT support, if employees or students are unable to misconfigure anything.

I remember the horrible mess during Y2K days because PC and Mac users had installed so much software over the years, and the corporation had no way of knowing how that stuff was used, or if it might be critical. I participated one weekend erasing the hard drives and personal files on 275,000 PCs and pushing an install of standard software; same for everybody.

You can control that behavior with tough policies, but enforcement costs money and it breeds ill will with the employees. Much better to give employees a device not capable of doing many of those things. Remember that most employees are clerical, not technical, so their legitimate computer uses are more narrow.

The military is even more strict. They forbid removable media, and trowel wet concrete into all USB ports.

Likes Spinnor
anorlunda said:
trowel wet concrete into all USB ports.
It's only epoxy.

Some shops prefer windows machines and will have a common load of software imaged onto them. Other shops prefer MacOS because the software is better vetted and/or Unix Is needed for their work. Chrome books are likely used by shops that have their documents in the cloud and are comfortable with that approach.

The unix requirement has been somewhat addressed on Windows with the Windows Subsystem for Linux which is basically Ubuntu or other distro running in a windows sandbox.

I read an article a few years back that said Macs were better than Windows machines for total cost of ownership meaning they were easier to manage and cost companies less in maintenance over the long term.

https://www.cio.com/article/3133945/ibm-says-macs-save-up-to-543-per-user.html

Another report mentioned that corporate machines should be upgraded every three years or so in order to avoid obsolescence of hardware/software components. Large companies will basically replace a third of their machine population every year. In contrast, end users will be on a five year cycle.

Vanadium 50 said:
Ifb you type the exact words "Popularity of Chromebook vs windows vs Apple MacOS" into Google, you will get the answer "In Q1 2020, Apple and Google were neck-and-neck: Windows grabbed 87.5% market share, macOS took 5.8%, and Chrome OS captured 5.3%."

It's not quite as simple as that anymore, as the line between what is a tablet and what is a PC is blurring, and will likely do so to a greater extent in the future. Also "Windows sales" tend to include things like cash registers and ATM machines that are not relevant to how people normally use the machines.

jedishrfu said:
Another report mentioned that corporate machines should be upgraded every three years or so in order to avoid obsolescence of hardware/software components. Large companies will basically replace a third of their machine population every year. In contrast, end users will be on a five year cycle.

I'm typing this on an 8 year old Mac, that I use for 4k video editing. I still don't have a compelling reason to upgrade.

What is the difference between Chromebook, Windows, and Apple MacOS?

Chromebook is a type of laptop that runs on Google's Chrome operating system while Windows and Apple MacOS are operating systems developed by Microsoft and Apple, respectively. Chromebook is designed to primarily run web-based applications, while Windows and MacOS can run both web-based and native applications. Additionally, Chromebooks are typically less expensive than Windows and MacOS devices.

Which operating system is best for productivity?

This depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the user. Chromebooks are great for web-based productivity tools, while Windows and MacOS offer a wider range of native applications for various tasks. Apple MacOS is known for its user-friendly interface and seamless integration with other Apple devices, making it a popular choice for productivity.

Can you run Microsoft Office on a Chromebook?

Yes, you can run Microsoft Office on a Chromebook using the web-based versions of the applications. However, the full versions of Microsoft Office are only available on Windows and MacOS devices.

Which operating system is best for gaming?

Generally, Windows is considered the best operating system for gaming. This is because Windows has the largest selection of games and is compatible with most gaming hardware and accessories. Apple MacOS has a smaller selection of games and may not be compatible with certain hardware.

Which operating system is the most secure?

All three operating systems have their own security measures in place, and it is difficult to determine which one is the most secure. However, Apple MacOS is known for its robust security features, such as FileVault for encrypting data and Gatekeeper for preventing unauthorized software from running. Windows also has strong security features, such as Windows Defender and BitLocker. Chromebooks are designed with security in mind and have built-in virus protection, regular automatic updates, and sandboxing to prevent malware attacks.