Circle to cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses transforming a cartesian equation into cylindrical and spherical coordinates. One participant asks for clarification on the process and another provides the equations for cylindrical and spherical coordinates. The conversation then goes on to discuss a specific example and how to convert it into a spherical equation. Eventually, the correct equation is determined and the conversation ends with a clarification on the level curves of the surface.
sci-doo

Homework Statement

Transform to cylindrical coordinates:
x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Doesn't look like a problem at all first... :smile:

Homework Equations

.. after all I know that is a circle (2d) and we can forget the z-axis (=0) and transform it to just polar coords.
Also I know, that for polar coordinates
x = r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
y = r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

But I don't know how to put it out as an answer. Am I supposed to give a parametric equation in terms of x=... and y=... or should it be like r=... and [tex]\theta[/tex]=... and z=0 or can I express it without parametres? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

hey, do I get the correct equation just by replacing x with r cos[tex]\theta[/tex] and y with r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]? So that cartesian eq
x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
is
(r cos[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(r sin[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
in cylindrical?

Or should it be something else, like parametric form of some kind?

:bugeye:
(r cos[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]+(r sin[tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]=R[tex]^{2}[/tex]
and it all goes down to r=R?

I guess it goes the same way with the spherical coordinates.

I'm sorry for this monoloque. :blushing:

I hope someone would correct me if I'm wrong. thank you.

Yes, [itex]x^2+ y^2= R^2[/itex] is a cylinder (not a circle) of radius R so it is particulary simple in cylindrical coordinates.

No, it does not "go that way" with spherical coordinates. In spherical coordinates [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] and [itex]\phi= \rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y^2= \rho^2 cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)+ \rho^2 sin^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)[/itex][itex]=
\rho^2 sin^2(\phi)= R^2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, [itex]x^2+ y^2= R^2[/itex] is a cylinder (not a circle) of radius R so it is particulary simple in cylindrical coordinates.

I think (and still do) that it is a circle, because it has no z. :eek:

HallsofIvy said:
No, it does not "go that way" with spherical coordinates. In spherical coordinates [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] and [itex]\phi= \rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y^2= \rho^2 cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)+ rho^2 sin^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)[/itex][itex]=
\rho^2 sin^2(\phi)= R^2[/itex].

Isn't the equation for circle R=r in both cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

sci-doo said:
I think (and still do) that it is a circle, because it has no z. :eek:

Isn't the equation for circle R=r in both cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

It is a cylinder, as a matter of fact. Because, it is saying that for any z at all, we have x^2+y^2=R^2.:-p

sutupidmath said:
It is a cylinder, as a matter of fact. Because, it is saying that for any z at all, we have x^2+y^2=R^2.:-p

CylindricalCoordinates_1001.gif

If the z is zero, aren't we only left with a circle?

man.. understanding one thing requires not understanding two..

I hope I know how to turn cartesian equations to cylindrical and spherical now.

I'm really trusting on these tricks:

For cylindrical: x^2+y^2=r^2
For spherical: x^2+y^2+z^2=[tex]\rho[/tex]^2

So if I must for example turn this cartesian
x^2+y^2-z=0
into a speherical equation, i just add both sides z^2 and
x^2+y^2+z^2=z+z^2
[tex]\rho[/tex]^2=z+z^2
[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{z+z^2}[/tex] and because z= [tex]\rho[/tex] cos [tex]\phi[/tex]
[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{\rho cos \phi +(\rho cos \phi)^2}[/tex]

Most likely I'm wrong. Once again, help is really appreciated. :frown:

Attachments

• CylindricalCoordinates_1001.gif
    4 KB · Views: 411
sci-doo said:

man.. understanding one thing requires not understanding two..

x^2+y^2-z=0
x^2+y^2+z^2=z+z^2
[tex]\rho[/tex]^2=z+z^2
[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{z+z^2}[/tex] and because z= [tex]\rho[/tex] cos [tex]\phi[/tex]

That is one way of doing it. You could have also just substitute the values of x,y and z in terms of ro, cos, sin and corresponding angles, and you would have ended up with the same thing.

Note: the reason you can take the square root of [tex]\rho^2[/tex] is because it cannot be negative. Otherwise, you would have stepped on the red line...:biggrin:

sci-doo said:

Well, as a matter of fact, the levle curves of this surface projected in any plane z=k, where k is a constant, are circles.

sci-doo said:

Yes, but you are NOT told that z= 0. Because "it has no z", there is no restriction on z: z can be any number.

man.. understanding one thing requires not understanding two.. [\quote]
No, understanding one thing requires understanding two!

x^2+y^2-z=0
x^2+y^2+z^2=z+z^2
[tex]\rho[/tex]^2=z+z^2
It would be better to leave it as
[tex]\rho^2[/tex]=[tex]\rho cos \phi +(\rho cos \phi)^2[/tex]

Related to Circle to cylindrical coordinates

1. What are circle to cylindrical coordinates?

Circle to cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. It is an alternative to the commonly used Cartesian coordinate system and is particularly useful for describing points on a cylinder or circular objects.

2. How are circle to cylindrical coordinates converted?

The conversion from circle to cylindrical coordinates involves using trigonometric functions to determine the distance from the origin, the angle of rotation, and the height of a point in three-dimensional space. These values can then be used to plot a point in the cylindrical coordinate system.

3. What is the relationship between circle and cylindrical coordinates?

Circle and cylindrical coordinates are closely related as they both use polar coordinates to describe points in three-dimensional space. The main difference is that circle coordinates are used to describe points on a flat plane, while cylindrical coordinates are used to describe points on a curved surface, such as a cylinder.

4. What are the advantages of using circle to cylindrical coordinates?

There are several advantages to using circle to cylindrical coordinates. One of the main advantages is that it allows for a more natural and efficient way to describe points on a cylinder or circular object. Additionally, it simplifies certain calculations and can make it easier to visualize and understand three-dimensional objects.

5. In what fields are circle to cylindrical coordinates commonly used?

Circle to cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is particularly useful for describing points in cylindrical structures, such as pipes, tunnels, and electric motors. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to plot and manipulate three-dimensional objects.