Circular Motion and Linear Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation of a disc about an axis through its center, with points P and Q at distances R and 2R respectively. Point P has a linear speed v and centripetal acceleration a, while point Q's linear speed and centripetal acceleration are being questioned. After considering the options and discussing the relationship between linear speed, radius, and acceleration, it is determined that at point Q, the linear speed is 2v and the centripetal acceleration is 2a.
Peter G.
Hi,

Points P and Q are at distances R and 2R respectively from the centre X of a disc

The disc is rotating about an axis through X, normal to the plane of the disc. Point P has linear speed v and centripetal acceleration a. Which one of the following is correct for point Q?

Linear Speed Options:
v
v
2v
2v

Centripetal Acceleration Options:
a
2a
2a
4a

So, I tried to play around with: a = v2 / r

From that I thought that as we double the Radius, as for Q, 2r we half the acceleration. But there's no option for that...

I am confused can anyone guide/hint me so I know what path to follow?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you double the radius, the acceleration is halved only if the linear speed remains the same. The linear speed of point Q is not the same as the linear speed of point P.

I don't know why you have repeated your option choices.

Peter G. said:
From that I thought that as we double the Radius, as for Q, 2r we half the acceleration. But there's no option for that...
You are overlooking that the linear speed varies with distance from the center of rotation. It is given as V at R. Do you see how to find it at Q?

It is a multiple choice question, so, for option c, it would be: Linear Speed 2v and Centripetal Acceleration 2a.

And, from your explanations, I should therefore substitute v2 for 4 x pi2 x r / T2?

Thanks once again,
Peter G.

Peter G. said:
It is a multiple choice question, so, for option c, it would be: Linear Speed 2v and Centripetal Acceleration 2a.

And, from your explanations, I should therefore substitute v2 for 4 x pi2 x r / T2?.

Like PhatomJay, I'm a little unclear about the choices offered for each question.

Yes: the velocity out at 2R will be 2V.

I'm not sure why you are introducing [tex]pi[/tex]. The acceleration out at 2R is found by substituting 2V and 2R into a = v[tex]^{}^{}2[/tex]/r.

Do you see how that gives you twice the acceleration at P?

(Sorry about the sloppy formatting...I'm learning...)

So, regarding the choices offered:

It is a table, with two colums, four rows.
The heading on the columns are: Linear Speed and Centripetal Acceleration;
Option A: Linear Speed v, Centripetal Acceleration a
Option B: Linear Speed v, Centripetal Acceleration 2a
Option C: Linear Speed 2v, Centripetal Acceleration 2a
Option D: Linear Speed 2v, Centripetal Acceleration 4a

I'm just not being able to visualize how inputting 2R and 2V would output 2A and how would I know it is 2V before hand :redface: Sorry, can you show it maybe in more steps?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Hmm...It seems to me the answer is that the linear velocity at Q is 2V and the centripetal acceleration is 2a

Here is my reasoning:
Circumference at P = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]R
Linear velocity at P =2[tex]\pi[/tex]R/T = v (given)
Acceleration at P =v[tex]^{}2[/tex]/R = a (given)
Circumference at Q = 2[tex]\pi[/tex](2R)
Linear velocity at Q = 2[tex]\pi[/tex](2R)/T=2v
Acceleration at Q = (2v)[tex]^{}2[/tex]/2R = 2a

Could it just be that you are skipping steps and making an algebra mistake in the process?

I've skipped steps in the linear velocity and acceleration at Q because the formatting is behaving oddly at the moment).

Ah ok, now I understood. I was also thinking that the acceleration would be 4a because I was again thinking the radius was constant...

Thanks a lot for your patience :smile:

Related to Circular Motion and Linear Speed

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant while its direction continually changes. This type of motion can be seen in objects like planets orbiting the sun or a spinning top.

2. What is linear speed?

Linear speed is the distance an object travels in a certain amount of time. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving, and it is often expressed in units such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. How is linear speed related to circular motion?

In circular motion, linear speed is the speed of an object along its circular path. It is the rate at which the object's distance from the center of the circle changes. As the object moves faster along the circular path, its linear speed increases.

4. What factors affect the linear speed of an object in circular motion?

The linear speed of an object in circular motion is affected by two main factors: the radius of the circular path and the frequency of rotation. As the radius of the circle increases, the linear speed decreases, and vice versa. Similarly, as the frequency of rotation increases, the linear speed also increases, and vice versa.

5. How is circular motion and linear speed related to centripetal force?

In circular motion, the centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along its circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is proportional to the mass of the object, the square of its velocity, and the inverse of the radius of the circle. In other words, the faster an object moves in circular motion, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it on its path.